Run-up after a quick stop

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chris

Just wondering what people's thoughts are on this. If you shut down for just a few minutes, say to switch out passengers, do you do another run-up before heading back up?

Personally I do. I figure that there's always a chance something rattled loose or a mag died in flight and I might not have noticed. The small amount of time and fuel it takes to check the engine over is worth it to me.

On the other hand I've seen gliding operations where they shut down between tows but only do run-ups a few times a day (first start and after fueling).

What say you?

Can we post polls in this forum? Can't see any button for it.

Liquid Charlie

when working -- once a day and on floats 1000 rpm unless light winds --
John Swallow

(Piston)  Same as I did in corporate aviation:  first trip of the day.  (And that's a bit of a lie; if leaving from home base, the maintenance staff did the run-up.  Can you say "Well taken care of..."?  (;>0)

J
Chuck Ellsworth

Piston engine once a day.
Goose

Once a day usually.  If the engine has cooled significantly or I put on "questionable" fuel then I will do an abbreviated run up.  Part of my shutdown procedure confirms stuff didn't break during flight.
BCPilotguy

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5958.msg15707#msg15707 date=1490921034]
Piston engine once a day.
[/quote]

I'm in this camp as well.
Three Bars

Only once a day except when I was a student and instructor or if I thought something was wrong.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]Only once a day except when I was a student and instructor[/quote]

Why would a student be taught to do a run up after a quick stop?

Three Bars

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5958.msg15754#msg15754 date=1491268348]
[quote]Only once a day except when I was a student and instructor[/quote]

Why would a student be taught to do a run up after a quick stop?
[/quote]

I was referring to more than once a day. This is primarily to build foundational skills so students can perform the tasks faster as well as catch problems peculiar to flight school aircraft like plug fouling as a result of prolonged idling and using rich mixtures in the circuit.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]I was referring to more than once a day.[/quote]

It can get confusing here.

The question was specific.

It was about doing a run up after a quick stop.

Maybe things have changed since I flew basic training airplanes like the C150 and C172, because I do not recall having plug fouling problems with the airplanes we flew.

Foundational skills used to be teaching them when a run up should be done and for sure it does not include a quick stop.

The skills needed to do a run up are not all that challenging.