Job listings - The fabled pilot shortage

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

I don't mean to promote Avcanada but have you seen the jobs being listed on there?
[url=http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=7]
http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewforum.php?f=7[/url]

I have never seen so many jobs posted in my career, this is kind of fun to watch.

However I am concerned that many of the good operators up north wont be able to find anyone as the regionals are sucking up everyone they can. I pity the pilots who are going to miss out on some of the best flying and experiences they can have in an airplane, but I am equally pleased with what should result in better compensation.

This one I had a good laugh at

[quote][size=3]Northwestern Air in Fort Smith, NT is looking for a
captain on the Jetstream 31-32.  Would like the
captain to have 4,000 hours, ATPL, and willing to
work in Fort Smith.  Competitive pay, medical,
matching RRSP and travel benefits.  We fly daily to
Yellowknife and Edmonton plus charters.  Please
reply to [email]george@nwal.ca[/email].[/size][/quote]Good luck finding a 4000 hour ATPL willing to relocate to Fort Smith[size=3].

[/size]Although a retired high time skipper buddy of mine got bored with retirement and went up to the NWT to drive a B1900D.

Slick Goodlin

Yep, not a great time to be a 703/704 CP.  They must be pretty desperate to post on Avcanada too, those job ads always open up an international flood gate of weirdos.
ScudRunner-d95

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=5928.msg15626#msg15626 date=1490482293]
Yep, not a great time to be a 703/704 CP.  They must be pretty desperate to post on Avcanada too, those job ads always open up an[u][b] international flood gate of weirdos[/b][/u].
[/quote]

I recall seeing several resumes from overseas to the small Yukon airline I was working at, folks from all over the globe applying offering to work for free. He was still getting them years after he posted one time looking for a tour pilot. He then had some idiot from the maritimes hacking on him in the forum for telling him he didn't have any mountain flying experience that he requested in the job ad.

I can only imagine how many emails hit the trash can these days from all over.
Slick Goodlin

Sometimes I wonder what's up with those companies that always post jobs.  I get that there are a lot of folks moving up in the world but what are they doing in their day-to-day ops that their current pilots' friends and past students aren't already beating down the doors to get jobs there?
Liquid Charlie

[quote][size=3]Yep, not a great time to be a 703/704 CP[/size][/quote][size=3] [/size]

[size=3]Yup I are one but the only solution I have come up with is to upgrade from with in and hire to the bottom. This way I am managing to get about 18 months out of a pilot. I feel like everyones "old dad" but I am very particular in what they stick their noses into and have had to increase dispatch minimums. No bonds, good moral and if I'm forced to hire a direct entry captain, reduced salary for first year with a bonus on anniversary date to bring them up to regular pay scale. Any pilot is free to leave at anytime [/size][size=2]with no [/size][font=Arial][size=2]repercussions.[color=#666666] Bonds [/color][/size][/font][size=medium][font=Verdana]  [/font][/size]
[size=medium][font=Verdana]are not the solution and I see that some companies are actually getting it. Experience levels have dropped and it's a sign of the times but with planning and managing it can be dealt with. What would ever happen here if we went the same way as USA and an ATP for 705/121 aircraft. That would certainly inject some stability or at least a reasonable flow. When they start picking up fresh commercials it does create chaos. [/font][/size]
ScudRunner-d95

I have said it before but I probably would have jumped ship to an airline asap back when I was a kid if it was like this. However I am glad it wasn't in many respects, great flying, great experience and most of all might never have gotten to discover business aviation which I think is a better fit for me. To each there own just hope these kids realize the opportunity they have and if I can influence a few to have some fun before they start chasin seniority numbers than mission accomplished.
Slick Goodlin

LC, that's impressive that you can get 18 months commitment without any bonds.  Is there a promissory note or anything?  How many pilots do you have?

The only big 703 company I had heard of prior without bonds got their commitments through threats instead.  Friend of mine got told on day one, "We're not going to make you sign anything, but leave before two years and you can consider your flying career ended.  We know people everywhere."  Yikes.
Liquid Charlie

No threats bonds or anything -- the guys are happy, with scheduled days off. The only thing I will do is a bonus system for a direct entry captain and pay him a bonus of 5 grand on his anniversary date with a lower starting salary (by 5 grand) than the group that came in and worked their way up. People are happy enough and don't want to jump ship for a right seat or even left seat 703/704 because right now all are holding out for a call from the regionals and an ATP (1500 hrs) is the magic bullet, so ya 18 months seems to be the average.  Very small company of 10 pilots so when one leaves it can have a negative effect on fielding all aircraft. The one good thing is that all are upfront and I'm the first to know when they start the hiring process with Jazz and Encore. The process usually gives me enough time to replace the pilot leaving.