Some more thoughts on training.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=5879.msg15649#msg15649 date=1490582646]
[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=5879.msg15646#msg15646 date=1490580996]
backwater town airstrips have better FBO and service than most major airports here in Canada the difference is night and day.
[/quote]
I always thought that had something to do with lack of competition.  The US seems like it has an airport every ten miles so it pays for their FBOs to be the best in the area.  Up here the airports are so few and far between the attitude is, "You can either pay what we ask for whatever service we choose to give you, or you can run out of gas and die between here and the next place.  Your call."
[/quote]

That same attitude extends to the airlines, cell companies ect.

Ever wonder why every single Canadian company that ventures into the US gets their ass kicked? 

It's a loser protectionist mentality up here.

John Swallow

Returning from the east coast a couple of years ago, I stopped in Quebec City for fuel.  New FBO charged me $30 to park on their ramp in addition to the fuel, and a few weeks later, I received a bill from the airport for some more money.

I don't go to CYQB anymore...

J
Four Bars

Going back to the original thread, it seems that no one has yet mentioned that most of our taxiing is done downwind, hence the brakes-against-power issue.
When one considers the tremendous energy-capture ability we expect of our tyres and brakes during an RTO event, it would appear prudent to begin the takeoff roll with the coolest possible brake and tyre temperatures.
Rookie Pilot

Shiny,

A couple of things. I don't disdain the "working man" (whatever that means), who works hard. I don't disagree, either.

I disdain the government who characterizes me and other small business owners as lucky, rich, corrupt fat cats who rip off the government and their own workers. That isn't true for me, or other small businesses I know. And I work hard, too. Shouldn't have to apologize for that.

We need small business, to create jobs, just as we need productive employees. If you knew anything about me, i don't mistreat anyone who works for me. I'm known as pretty generous, actually. I was there, too. 

FYI ---

I started with crappy jobs, mopping floors and cleaning toilets, loading trucks, bussing tables as a kid. I didn't grow up with money and couldn't afford to finish even a 2nd year of college.

When I started my company, no one would lend us a dime, and I sent my wife to a shitty job to support us while I tried to make it go. No silver spoons here. And it wasn't much fun having to eat KD multiple times a week at 25 cents a box. No kidding.

I've been there and paid the dues, too. I don't need to apologize to anyone.

Rookie Pilot

Partly right. Demand may or may not be met in a community effectively, resulting in unmet needs.

And of course business creates new markets -- like the iPhone ect.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]And of course business creates new markets -- like the iPhone ect.[/quote]

Aviation is the perfect example, it attracts the mentally challenged.  ;)
mcrit

[quote author=Four Bars link=topic=5879.msg15662#msg15662 date=1490634546]
Going back to the original thread, it seems that no one has yet mentioned that most of our taxiing is done downwind, hence the brakes-against-power issue.
When one considers the tremendous energy-capture ability we expect of our tyres and brakes during an RTO event, it would appear prudent to begin the takeoff roll with the coolest possible brake and tyre temperatures.
[/quote]

Very good point