Some more thoughts on training.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Rookie Pilot

Let's get this right, Shiny: 

Because I don't fly for money, just a  relative low time humble GA pilot  -- whose safely flown many long single engine volunteer missions with  medical patients, a lot of that over pretty nasty  terrain on friendly to mosquitoes, I don't know anything about skin in the game flying risk?

Better rethink that one. Frankly that attitude that all GA pilots only go for the $100 hamburger 30 miles away, doing nothing worthwhile, really pisses me off. I've used aviation a lot -- to help others using my own time, airplane and money.

On business risk, it's a whole lot different managing a business, than starting one with ones own (very limited)  money, working nights and weekends while living in cheap shithole  accommodation to make it go. 

Don't meet too many who did what we did in that regard.

red_shiny_ribbon

Yup, that confirms it! Chuck is definitely on the receiving end.
Rookie Pilot

It's funny.

In SE pistons I've flown up the James Bay coast, all over northern Ontario many times, (most with medical passengers) crossed most of Canada and the continental US, and crossed the big rocks several times, all in all seasons.

Yet, I've never referred to myself as anything other than a low time amateur in aviation.  No dispute there.

Then again, I find it hard to buy I know absolutely nothing of personal risk with people's lives in my hands, seeing as I actually do my flying out of the circuit ----
Strega

Rookie,

If youve flown across Canada to places like James bay, you are LIGHT YEARS ahead of most "Instructors" in Canada.

There is a difference between 1 hr 1000x, vs actually having 1000 hrs..  most instructors fall into the first category.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Strega link=topic=5879.msg15613#msg15613 date=1490454314]
Rookie,

If youve flown across Canada to places like James bay, you are LIGHT YEARS ahead of most "Instructors" in Canada.

There is a difference between 1 hr 1000x, vs actually having 1000 hrs..  most instructors fall into the first category.
[/quote]

Strega,

I have to say of all places I've flown, single engine 90 minutes one way,  north of the highway, (or any airport) to attawapiskat, pegged my risk meter higher than Montana, BC, AB, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Idaho,  ect all nasty terrain areas I've  flown  -- but that James Bay Area is all bog.  NO good options for a long long distance, although I was as prepared as possible. At least other parts of N Ontario there might be a road, 15 - 20 miles away , if not an airport.

Not sure SE I'd do that again.

You're right though I know nothing compared to a freshly minted class 4 ---
Strega

Ive been to almost every shitty airport in Northern On....  SE and ME,, I agree with you, having the second throttle in your hand adds to the comfort factor..

Rookie Pilot

It's so different in much of the US. seriously in Michigan, if at altitude there is almost no way anywhere not to make an airport. There are that many.

Such a difference in GA, US and Canada. Canada all in all has the rudest, shittiest service industry, from lazy restaurant servers to fat arrogant Air Canada flight attendants who bump into you everytime with their fat ass.

Flew delta recently to the US. A pleasant surprise all legs.
ScudRunner-d95

I tell you what I agree, service in Canada sucks. I remember years ago landing a PA-28 down in KBFI the FBO had a marshaller chock the plane set out a red carpet even gave me a courtesy car. Years later in the Jet same top notch service.

Back in Canada you're lucky to find chocks laying around to chock the plane yourself and if coffee is in the pot it was made the day before. You ask for something its like you requested their first born be sold into slavery.

backwater town airstrips have better FBO and service than most major airports here in Canada the difference is night and day.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=ScudRunner link=topic=5879.msg15646#msg15646 date=1490580996]
backwater town airstrips have better FBO and service than most major airports here in Canada the difference is night and day.
[/quote]
I always thought that had something to do with lack of competition.  The US seems like it has an airport every ten miles so it pays for their FBOs to be the best in the area.  Up here the airports are so few and far between the attitude is, "You can either pay what we ask for whatever service we choose to give you, or you can run out of gas and die between here and the next place.  Your call."