Some more thoughts on training.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
JW Scud

[quote author=mcrit link=topic=5879.msg15540#msg15540 date=1490215289]

Power against brakes is the [i]least[/i] desirable way to control speed.  That is a set up for hot brakes with the associated brake fade and tire blow outs.  That is a horrible habit to instill in a student, and I'm getting tired of having to break it in mine.

1000 RPM is a guideline, it is a [i]should[/i].  That means that you can have the engine idling at a lower RPM if you have a good reason.  Controlling your taxi speed and avoiding hot brakes is a good reason for a lower RPM.  When you are stopped and holding short, bring the RPM back up to 1000.
[/quote]

Thanks,

I think that was covered by the discussion of reducing power first.  Frequently, that alone will allow you to slow down, especially if there is an upslope. There are some occasions where a very long taxi is required including a straight-away for many thousands of feet at large airports on what are runway-like taxiways. I prefer to let the speed pick up somewhat at 1000 rpm. Then, reducing power as previously discussed will slow the aircraft down. Others prefer to maintain halfway between idle and 1000 rpm continuously while they are taxiing for that long period. I like to return toward 1000 rpm after slowing down.

I suppose the best thing to tell the students is that there are two potentially conflicting ideals here. Engine considerations, brake temps depanding on OAT, brake wear. I agree that 1000 rpm is a should not a shall and only when it makes sense to do so. Frequently, a safe, reasonable speed can be maintained at around 1000 rpm.

Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5879.msg15552#msg15552 date=1490226692]
You are correct Rookie, far to many of today's generation believe they are entitled.

But it started a long time ago.

I recall one instructor who answered my add for a class 4 instructor.

He had just finished his rating and my school was his first job application.

So I sat him down and explained what would be required of him.

First the job paid a base pay plus a per flight hour flying pay and ground instruction pay.

Also he would be assigned an airplane that was his responsibility to do a daily inspection on.

The inspection would include making sure the airplane was clean inside and out side and ensure the fuel and oil were sufficient to start the day., if it needed fuel or oil it was his responsibility to put it in the airplane.

He said he was a pilot, and fueling  and putting oil in the airplane was the mechanics job.

Anyhow I thanked him for applying and said it was to bad he did not meet my company requirements.

His parents threatened to sue me!!!

No wonder some kids are hopeless.
[/quote]

Exactly.

The lack of respect of some young people in entry level positions is what kills me.

Don't they know in every situation -- someone that could be an employer -- is watching?

Chuck Ellsworth

It is really puzzling why some of these younger guys show such lack of respect for elderly people.

Did you read the comments that red_shiny_ribbon made about me here?

Not only did he mock my being old he went so far as to say I have one foot in the grave.

There are a lot of company owners out there who know me and I doubt if they would be impressed with his attitude.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5879.msg15560#msg15560 date=1490235714]
It is really puzzling why some of these younger guys show such lack of respect for elderly people.

Not only did he mock my being old he went so far as to say I have one foot in the grave.

There are a lot of company owners out there who know me and I doubt if they would be impressed with his attitude.
[/quote]

It's a small community out there, little snowflakes. People, and company owners talk.

Can easily find yourself unemployable.
Chris

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5879.msg15552#msg15552 date=1490226692]
You are correct Rookie, far to many of today's generation believe they are entitled.

But it started a long time ago.

I recall one instructor who answered my add for a class 4 instructor.

He had just finished his rating and my school was his first job application.

So I sat him down and explained what would be required of him.

First the job paid a base pay plus a per flight hour flying pay and ground instruction pay.

Also he would be assigned an airplane that was his responsibility to do a daily inspection on.

The inspection would include making sure the airplane was clean inside and out side and ensure the fuel and oil were sufficient to start the day., if it needed fuel or oil it was his responsibility to put it in the airplane.

He said he was a pilot, and fueling  and putting oil in the airplane was the mechanics job.

Anyhow I thanked him for applying and said it was to bad he did not meet my company requirements.

His parents threatened to sue me!!!

No wonder some kids are hopeless.
[/quote]

I hate my generation sometimes.

Okay, often.
Vtoss

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5879.msg15560#msg15560 date=1490235714]

[/quote]

Try reading his comment again. He wasn't mocking elderly people. He was just pointing out that you shouldn't attack others if you can't take it yourself. Saying you have "one foot in the grave" is pretty mild compared to the personal attacks that you have made against other people. If you can't take the heat yourself , perhaps you should think twice before attacking other people...
Rookie Pilot

Shiny,

I respect Chuck because from what I've read, he's been there and done that in aviation. Navigation celestially in the artic? Yeah,  I'll respect most things on aviation he chooses to say.

Same with my friends who fly in places like PNG. When they talk I SHUT UP and listen, cause I don't know anything compared to them.

200 hour wonders would do well to take that lesson.

And another thing for that group  from someone who actually runs a business with my capital at risk. 

Stop the incessant bitching about bonds conditions and low pay.  Don't like it, don't work there, or grow a pair a start your own company.

Such chatter confirms the spoiled brat syndrome rampant out there.

Chuck Ellsworth

The problem with trying to get a message across in an aviation forum Rookie is there is no one on one personal interaction thus no body language to complete the message.

As to the respect for age comments I made I guess I should not have went there because it just opens more doors for people to twist it to their agenda.

So I will state facts.

I spent over fifty years flying all over the world in almost every kind of flying machine known to man and survived accident free.

I worked for some of the biggest companies in the world and each and every job was by recommendation from the previous.

So I must know something about flying.

And I don't really lose sleep over some of the comments here.  :)
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5879.msg15569#msg15569 date=1490285990]
The problem with trying to get a message across in an aviation forum Rookie is there is no one on one personal interaction thus no body language to complete the message.

As to the respect for age comments I made I guess I should not have went there because it just opens more doors for people to twist it to their agenda.

So I will state facts.

I spent over fifty years flying all over the world in almost every kind of flying machine known to man and survived accident free.

I worked for some of the biggest companies in the world and each and every job was by recommendation from the previous.

So I must know something about flying.

And I don't really lose sleep over some of the comments here.  :)
[/quote]

Nope.

Comparable is when I've had the odd conversation with a Certified Financial Advisor, which means a licensed sales peddler.  Nothing more. CFA's, CFP's, all of which love to flash their letters, know little more about how investment markets work than door to door vacuum salesmen. A more patronizing group one will not find.

Trust me on this.

It's tough to have an intelligent professional conversation with someone who doesn't even know what they don't know. 

Think people. You really think your friendly advisor working at a bank -- meaning they have a job -- knows anything on what's going on out there with the economy, or anything else other than their bonus for pushing the banks product?