Preliminary Report 777 strike runway lights MIA

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
vanNostrum

ScudRunner-d95

Accepting an intersection departure without computing the numbers on the big iron like that is foolish at best. 

That being said statistics prove rejecting a takeoff at V1 on a tight runway can be catastrophic.

Here is a textbook engine failure on the takeoff roll, I don't know how close to V1 they were but well done to the crew.

[youtube][/youtube]

RUDDER PEDALS!
Rookie Pilot

Well done?

But they must have "four bars"!! 

Doesnt that mean they suck by definition?

O0
vanNostrum

Fourteen  bars if you count the relief crew  :o
Eric Janson

At my previous Airline they tried to take-off from an intersection without the appropriate performance chart.
[url=http://avherald.com/h?article=45a75ffc&opt=0]
http://avherald.com/h?article=45a75ffc&opt=0[/url]

They (just) got away with it - pictures show a very late rotation.

Company policy encouraged intersection take-offs without issuing any guidance about when not to do them.

Colonel

[quote]Company policy encouraged intersection take-offs without issuing any guidance about when not to do them.[/quote]

Is it April 1st already?! 

Sorry, I don't believe the absence of micro-management.
Eric Janson

[quote author=Colonel link=topic=1288.msg5153#msg5153 date=1450027005]
[quote]Company policy encouraged intersection take-offs without issuing any guidance about when not to do them.[/quote]

Is it April 1st already?! 

Sorry, I don't believe the absence of micro-management.
[/quote]

It's Asia - learning is done by rote. [b]If it's not in the books they don't know[/b]. Most people were in management because they didn't like flying not because they were any good at their jobs (and believe me - they weren't!).

This procedure was designed to save fuel - they also introduced landing with reduced flap at the same time (again no guidance).

I met up with the team who did the IOSA audit in 2012 (one of them is a friend) and their telling comment:- [b]"They don't know what they don't know"

[/b]