Once again

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

Private Pilot takes family and friends with him. Just another example of an  ab initio training failure to equip. The current system of training is a loaded gun for a hobby pilot who chooses to go out and purchase his or her own aircraft after completing their private license. Issue  a basic license and let them go out and see if they can survive. Add automation and such and a pilot who has not developed enough skills and we see the end results more often than we should. The schools are puppy mills and their gravy is turning out potential commercial pilots that do get some extra training doing their commercial. The hobbyist is just fodder and issued a license to kill. Extreme view but it seems there is a certain amount of stats supporting this.

Colonel

Many of us have suspected for years, that you are describing the Cirrus business model.
ScudRunner-d95

A few years back an CFI friend of mine called me up needing someone to pinch hit as a sim instructor, a PPL was renewing his MIFR ticket.

He flew quite well in the Alsim "Seminole" and mentioned he owned a larger single of some sort, could have been a Saratoga or Lance.
Then he said hes shopping for an MU-2.

Um sorry did you say an MU2 like the Mitsubishi twin turbo prop?
Guy replied in the affirmative.

Long story short after further cross examination, he had about 600 hours TT and had flown his family all over in his plane.
He recently sold his business and wanted to go places fast. He was adamant that their poor safety record was to do with poor pilots and bad training.

I didn't disagree, however I encouraged him to contact an insurance agent before he got anymore serious. And to hire someone with lots of experience to sit with him for a very long time if he did buy one.
I haven't heard of one making a smoking hole in the ground around these parts so I figure his Insurance agent told him the bad news.

Slick Goodlin

I must have met the same guy or someone just like him.  He had a P210(?) or whatever the speedy go places high-wing Cessna is and a total flying time that could reasonably be measured I. The dozens and he felt a Rice Rocket was what he really needed.  To his credit he went to the type convention to talk with other owners and operators and as far as I know was talked out of it.  Hopefully he got himself a nice Meridian or TBM or something.
Colonel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Magd ... MU-2_crash

[quote]the aircraft crossed DAVAK on a heading of 114°M at 4500 feet ASL—[u]1500 feet higher[/u] than the published procedure crossing altitude. The aircraft was descending at 1600 fpm and at an airspeed of 238 knots—about [u]100 knots above the recommended approach speed[/u] of 140 KIAS

the aircraft crossed IMOPA—the final approach waypoint, 4.2 nm from the runway—at 2200 feet ASL, which is 790 feet above the published crossing altitude of 1410 feet ASL. The aircraft was descending at 1900 fpm, the speed was 188 knots—about 50 knots above the recommended approach speed of 140 KIAS—and the power levers remained at idle.

the airspeed had decreased to 99 knots, within a few knots of the stall speed of 95 knots. The pilot rapidly advanced the power levers to their full forward position. This increased the engine power to maximum.

Immediately following the power application, the aircraft experienced an upset, yawed, and quickly rolled to the right, exceeding a 70° angle of bank, and then rapidly descended. The aircraft's rate of descent increased from 1350 fpm, reaching a maximum of 4600 fpm.[/quote]

Really, what could go wrong?
Colonel

Once again:

[quote]Nine people were killed and three others injured Saturday afternoon when a plane crashed in southern South Dakota, authorities said.

The Pilatus PC-12 had 12 people on board when it crashed near Chamberlain -- about 180 miles west of Sioux Falls -- shortly after takeoff, said Peter Knudson of the NTSB[/quote]
ScudRunner-d95

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=10230.msg29458#msg29458 date=1575206887]
Once again:

[quote]Nine people were killed and three others injured Saturday afternoon when a plane crashed in southern South Dakota, authorities said.

The Pilatus PC-12 had 12 people on board when it crashed near Chamberlain -- about 180 miles west of Sioux Falls -- shortly after takeoff, said Peter Knudson of the NTSB[/quote]
[/quote]

I see your South Dakota PC12 and raise you Florida PC12
[url=https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/acc ... ing-cause/]https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/acc ... ing-cause/[/url]

I have about 800 hours in the PC-12, great aircraft I would have to say my favorite turbo prop.
I would love to have one as a runabout toy hauler but would probably take the speed of a TBM if I had the bucks.

Chuck Ellsworth

My choice of a personal airplane would be a Harrier jump jet.

I watched three of them screwing around hovering on the beach in Belize once and the noise was fucking breathtaking.
Colonel

I'm a fan of East Bloc stuff.  If you have a 10mm wrench, a 3000 psi N2 tank
and a hammer, you can fix anything on them.  They were brilliantly designed
to be operated and maintained by idiots, so they're perfect for me.

If I ever struck it rich - at least a large fraction of a billion - on a startup here,
I would start buying containers of disassembled MiG-21 parts and a tanker
truck of kerosene.

ScudRunner-d95

might need more than a truck of kerosene, I have a Somali  buddy who could make some calls get us a tanker or two cheap.