Everyone makes mistakes

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

May I suggest switching to a diet of John
and Martha King, for a change?

[img width=500 height=258]http://www.ainonline.com/sites/default/ ... hoto-2.jpg[/img]

They're badass!

John Swallow

An interesting website detailing nylon letdowns in the Sabre days...

http://www.ejection-history.org.uk/Airc ... _Sabre.htm
Colonel

Jesus.  That's a lot of aluminum falling from the sky!
JW Scud

[quote author=John Swallow link=topic=6691.msg18352#msg18352 date=1500992723]
It was back in my military days:  as the prop hit the ground at full RPM, they probably just changed the engine and sent it for overhaul.  Like I said:  cockamamie ideas; cockamamie outcomes...
[/quote]

Can you tell us what the idea was. It might prevent a future accident.
John Swallow

Monsieur Scud:  to prevent another Chipmunk winding up on its nose, that theory must go to the grave with me.  (The other half of the award-winning "Idea-of-the-Century" went to Quantas in the mid-sixties and unfortunately died down there.) 

However, in an effort to preclude future occurrences, I will offer this:

"When flying a De Havilland Chipmunk solo from the front seat, never, ever, ever, ever, ever release the brake, apply full power, and shove the control column into the fire wall."   

Especially after you've just exhorted the controller in the tower to "Watch this".

It must be noted that I was not a four-bar Captain back then.  No sirreeee, Bob!  Just a two-bar Flight Lieutenant...  (;>0)