Next Steps: IFR Rating or Tailwheel/Acro?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
DeflectionShot

I just discovered this forum as an alternative to AvCanada. It’s good to be back with the haters, trolls and flamers. >:D

Folks want to get your insight in getting an instrument rating as a recreational rental pilot. I’m often told that getting an IFR ticket is going to make you a better/safer pilot – but after reading Richard Collins’ recent musings on single-pilot IFR I’m not convinced.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilot-techniqu ... -pilot-ifr

I’m thinking acro/tailwheel is a better investment since I have a limited budget and don’t have access to anything beyond fairly clapped out C172s at my local FTU which are less than ideal IFR platforms.

Slick Goodlin

If you're flying recreationally I recommend tailwheel.  It's not terribly difficult and will home your existing skill set.  Further to that, I find the tailwheel community is a mostly friendly and social one.

Where abouts are you located?
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]If you're flying recreationally I recommend tailwheel.  It's not terribly difficult and will home your existing skill set.  Further to that, I find the tailwheel community is a mostly friendly and social one.[/quote]

Best advice you will get.

Welcome to haters flamers and trolls inc.
ScudRunner-d95

Welcome to the Forum! No doubt that acquiring more training in multiple disciplines will make you a better pilot. I would say if you are only intending to operate recreational picking your flying days I would choose to pursue Tailwheel and Acro. That being said you should take the time to know enough how to get yourself out of trouble with your instruments.

You may choose not to pursue the rating but build on your base knowledge whenever you can. Take a fellow pilot along as a safety lookout and go under the hood, practice your scan and basic maneuvers and tracking. 

When I started getting my ratings when pursuing my CPL MIFR I intended to fly for money, that being said I didn't use my IFR until  6 years into my career. Well I used it, but you know saving my ass VFR doesn't count right?
Liquid Charlie

Welcome to the group that will call a spade a fucking shovel if needed

I guess it boils down to what you actually want to do with your license. Do you want to rent to go somewhere or are you a fine day local cruiser. An instrument rating is expensive and you need to maintain it. The problem with recreational IFR pilots they never seem to get enough experience to be competent. I see brand new commercial IFR pilots every day and until they have about 500 hours of IFR time they can be on the dangerous side. It takes time to hone your skills and most recreational pilots don't fly enough to do this. Invest in some sim time and practice under the hood a little to get the skills to bail you out in a pinch. If you stumble into IMC you can get out without hurting anyone.

Save your money and pick your days and fly when it's enjoyable. Get that conventional gear check out and have fun. It seems this is not a career issue with you so fly for fun and stick to the good wx and enjoy what you see outside.

David MacRay

I agree with Liquid Charlie.
While I think there is some value in getting an IFR rating. It's always good to learn and it could improve other areas of flying. It's never bad to practice maintaining a steady speed, heading and altitude. Kind of like if you play the banjo, taking piano lessons might be helpful, but..

If you are not going to fly in IFR conditions, I think your skills will diminish quickly.

Even after getting the rating as a beginner, I think you would most likely need to fly precisely using instruments, at least pretending to not look out the window several times a month for a while to get decent.
([color=blue]you will need to either be flying IFR and/or have someone looking outside for other airplanes[/color])

In addition you will need to do check rides to keep the rating current. It seems to me like you would be getting a job where you pay to work.
Might be fun.  :P

If you are not planning to make all that stuff happen, the cost of the rating might exceed the value.

If I were going to spend money renting an airplane. I would practice flying precisely and go some place. Exploring the continent in any airplane is great fun, sometimes more so in a light single.

ramjet555

If you want to improve your Instrument skills get X-Plane 10 and a good set of controls
and it will cost you nothing per hour.

If you want to have fun flying in a real airplane than a Tailwheel and Aerobatics will
make you a safer, more competent and a very happy pilot.

I'm extremely lucky to have my office is located
in the back seat of a Super Decathlon putting smiles on faces that last for weeks.
Chuck Ellsworth

We had a Super Decathlon in the airshow company I flew for in Holland.

I didn't fly it much but it sure was an improvement over the Citabria.

DeflectionShot

Thanks for the input. I love having my initial prejudices confirmed by the board.  ;)

I wasn't that enthusiastic about staring at my instrument panel for 20 hours. I would rather shit my pants practicing hammerheads with the Colonel.

[quote]If you're flying recreationally I recommend tailwheel.  It's not terribly difficult and will home your existing skill set.  Further to that, I find the tailwheel community is a mostly friendly and social one.

Where abouts are you located? [/quote]

I'm located in SK which has limited choice for tailwheel training and acro. Yorkton has a Decathlon available but they won't let you solo in it. Our local FTU is a classic C150/C172 operation. I will likely need to take the training at Harv's in Winnipeg. Calgary Flying Club is another choice.
Chuck Ellsworth

What the fuck has happened to aviation in Canada.

It is almost inconceivable that there are so few people in such a big country that are not skilled enough as pilots to give training in simple conventional gear airplanes.

I can hardly breathe it is so unbelievable.

How did it get this dumbed down?