Flight Training Should Make You Feel Good

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Hahahahahahaahahahahahahahaahahahahahahhahhahahahahahahahahahah

Sorry.  Good hook, though, you must admit.

Here's the point:  on the flights that went the worst, that almost made you quit
flying completely, you probably learned the most.

If you hung in there - remember, for every professional, there was once an amateur
who just wouldn't quit - on your next flight, things probably went pretty well.  And
you didn't learn a goddamned thing, although you got your ego stroked.

Meta-lesson time.  Flights that you enjoyed, you didn't learn much from.  You just
used human capital that you had accumulated in your Skill/Knowledge bank account.

Earning money, for most people, is hard work.  So is learning stuff. 

Spending is fun. Earning is hard.

The sooner people admit this, the sooner they can get on to making progress.

It isn't always about making you feel good.  Try hard to not be such a narcissistic sociopath,
as the world already has far too many of those.  I blame social media.

After you get some experience and develop some perspective, you will look at really shitty
days differently.  You know, that this too will pass.  In the meantime, try to identify what
mistakes you made, and figure out how to never, ever make them again.

Here's another meta-lesson:  It's easy to be a hero when times are good.  But it's when
times are bad, that real character shines through.  Oddly, over many decades, I have noticed
that it's not always WHAT you do under stress that is remembered, but HOW you handled it.

[img][/img]

A placard, from one of my former students.

At the end of a dual lesson, I was pleased if my students were exhausted, sweaty, nearly
incoherent with a bit - just a bit - of vomit on their stained shirt.  That meant, that they had
got their money's worth on that trip.  I would send them home, and tell them to type up what
had happened on that lesson.  What we were supposed to do.  What they did.  What mistakes
they made, and how they should correct them.  I would receive that email, review and correct
it, and send it back to them to relive the flight for the [i]third[/i] time.

Closed loop control.  Live the dream.  Get good.  Fast.  Fuck the Learning Factor of Effect.

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_t ... k)_control]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_t ... k)_control[/url]

We're not here to shove butter up your @ss.

[img width=500 height=375][/img]

Four Bars

Placard on Captain’s panel: “ don’t do anything stupid”

Placard on F/O’s panel: “Don’t do anything, Stupid”