Exporting an aircraft.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark1

Do you’s Guys know of the top of your head, whether an FAA licensed pilot can fly a C registered plane for the purpose of exporting it to the US?

John Swallow

I'm guessing he could fly it once across the Border.  However, he'd need someone with a Canadian licence to fly it across.

Anyone else?

Colonel

I have answered this question, many times before.  I can dig up the FARs and CARs
references again.

In Canada, a pilot with only a Canadian license can be PIC of an N-registered aircraft
as long as it is in Canada.  As soon as he crosses the border south into the USA, he
needs an FAA pilot certificate, to be PIC of an N-registered aircraft in the USA. 
FAR 61.75 is not onerous in this regard.  The FAA used to do them on the spot at OSH,
but now you need the OKC verification.  Blech.

In the USA, a pilot with only an FAA pilot certificate can be PIC of a C-registered aircraft
as long as it is in the USA.  As soon as he crossed the border northbound into Canada,
he needs a Canadian pilot licence to fly an C-registered aircraft in Canada.

The FARs and CARs are quite explicit in regards to the above.
David MacRay

If the plane is close enough and a SEL non-high performance... I can come over and be "PIC" until we get across the border.

Theorizing it did not result in divorce, I would need some sort of a ride back.

If my wife gets angry enough about me doing it, I might need to be sponsored to stay in the US.
ScudRunner-d95

I had a weird contract flight I did the other year, I flew a C registered C680 from STP - MDW- STP- MKE

I was told by the US operation they couldn't fly it as it was C registered. It was sold to the US op they where waiting for the new N register but this was during a government shutdown.

My friends in the know said that was bull shit a FAA Licenced pilot with a C680 type could operate it no problem domestically.
So I took their money.

So yes but no.

If its C reg and your in the USA you can operate it with a FAA licence.
But if its C registered and you want to bring it in from Canada to the US you would need a TC licence until you got to the USA.

Where you coming out of?  im sure you could find someone to ride as PIC
Nark1

My buddy found found a 2013 C172 for his flight school (in Phoenix) and is having trouble finding a TC licensed pilot that can export it.
He knew I had a TC license a while ago, but has long since expired (2004). 
I emailed TC the same day I posted this, and they got back to me the other day with a single question: what’s my birthdate?
Thanks for nothing Transport Canada.  What a useless organization. 
Colonel

Note that there is some paper that the pilot must produce for CBP, at the first
landing in the USA, of a C-reg aircraft that is going to be imported to the USA.
Eric Janson

You should be able to get a temporary validation of your FAA Licence - you'll be issued a limited validity Canadian Licence.

This used to be possible - best to contact Transport Canada with your specific requirements and see what they suggest.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Eric Janson link=topic=9937.msg28635#msg28635 date=1566803726]
best to contact Transport Canada with your specific requirements and see what they suggest.
[/quote]
If you were to contact them I’d try a call to their Hamilton office, that one seems pretty involved with licensing.  Everyone I’ve met from that office has been helpful though a couple can be condescending about it.  They don’t seem to understand that reading obscure regs is their life, not yours.  Either way, you’ll still come away with what you’re looking for.
Nark1

Thanks for the heads up to use Hamilton.  The pacific office doesn’t seem to want to deal with me.

What a stark contrast to the FAA.  Never thought I’d compliment the FAA...