Hours to PPL

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Liquid Charlie

[quote][size=2][font=verdana]Scud, most online today is 20. [/font][font=verdana]Most ever, 48.  AvCan?  Now, 556Most?  3000+ Ever wonder why, Scud?Good luck to you --[/font][/size][/quote][size=2][font=verdana]

I for one prefer it here and after being banned because google didn't like me at the other place and having various posts disappear into no where, I am, frankly fed up with the big stats place. The bigger the stats the deeper the bullshit. Remove all the people going there only to check jobs out and also to ask about working conditions I must admit there isn't much content left. It's dominated by pilots clamouring to find their ultimate job or to shit on others not there yet. Come here with a legit question on flying you will get a reasonable response. Come here to see if your dick is bigger that someone else's just get you what you asked for.
I sit here and watch to banter and chuckle. I am likely the world's worst instructor, don't like it, can be bothered and can't explain the PFM of flying. My hat goes off to those who can and can do it well, which seems more difficult to find these days. We need professional instructors but the industry is such they are far and few. I don't believe you can call a airline wannabe building time from a bare commercial an instructor. I almost, no did spray coffee when I saw an aviation college advertising for instructors and called them Professors. Not many PHD's out there in aviation, especially in Canada. I don't think we offer the courses up here. Oh well time to go for a rip around the lake.

[url=[/url][/font][/size]

Chuck Ellsworth

I think you are correct Charlie, there are more pilots here who can and do answer questions about flying and they actually know what they are talking about.

Hopefully this site will not get clustered with posters who only want to put others down, and so far the few who tried did not have much success.
Colonel

PS  Pinged dear old Dad.  It was 235 knots on short
final with no BLC, touching down way over the max
200 knots of the chute.  Deploy it too fast, it's gone.

A four bar might lock up the brakes, but that's laughable -
you're over the rated speed speed of the tires, too.

Apparently it's quite something to keep it on the runway
when you land at those speeds.

Systems failure occurred immediately after takeoff
so he was heavy, and maintenance told him to get
it on the ground NOW - no time to burn fuel.

That procedure may have been a cinch for the newbie
squadron pilots, but the CEPE project pilots on the
-104 took it pretty seriously.  Asymmetric BLC failure
was considered fatal. 

Joe Ozier died trying to land a -104 after an identical
failure to Dad's - symmetric BLC failure.  He tried to
get the speed down.  I am sure Rookie would too, to
use less runway.
John Swallow

Your dad did a masterful job given the circumstances.  He must have had his hands full...  Asymmetric BLC failure required an immediate selection of Take-off flap to stay out of the dirt. 

And, given his take-off weight, he would have been hot on final. 

Do you remember or did he say when the BLC problem was encountered and what were the symptoms?

No doubt, the CEPE pilots took it seriously; however, time permitting, you'd burn fuel and maximize your chances of a successful outcome. 

However, note that any "four bars" would have handled it quite nicely as they would have had several trips under their belts before solo...  And, if you are committed to a 4000 foot runway in that situation, you jump...

PS  Joe Ozier's prang was a little different:

The aircraft was bailed to Lockheed Aircraft Corporation (LAC) at time of the crash. The aircraft pitched up and crashed during flare on landing at Palmdale AF Plant 42, California on February 15, 1957 at 1321 PST. Joseph “Joe” Watson Ozier, a civilian engineering test pilot, was on a local test flight with empty tip tanks testing landings with land flaps but without the use of BLC (Boundary Layer Control). On final for the full stop landing the airspeed bled off to a minimum of 143 knots. The aircraft rolled uncontrolled to a right bank angle of 56° bank before dragging the right tip tank. The aircraft struck the ground and exploded.
John Swallow

PS:

I was editor of our local flying club newsletter for several years...

You were front page news in October 2013.

J