I should probably buy this C-182

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:19 pm
Pilots are funny. They try to calculate their hourly cost to prove that they will "save money" by
owning instead of renting.
The main thing I seeing changing in this calculation is the reduced availability of being able to rent airplanes. And that's in the US I'm finding too, where one would think the options would be more available I'm finding it wanting. Lots of schools won't rent anymore period. I've had trouble finding places that you could purchase an hour even with an instructor if you weren't going to sign on for a specific course and put money down. Finding private guys is a random thing, they usually have lives so matching up a day off with them is tough.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 2:19 pm
Pilots are funny. They try to calculate their hourly cost to prove that they will "save money" by
owning instead of renting.
I was once told it’s cheaper to rent anything that flies, floats, or f…
Slick Goodlin

Nark wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:14 pm
Also, a divorce is probably cheaper in the short/long run.
Working on it. Will advise.
David MacRay

While it might be less expensive to rent. It’s not like last century when there were several places with plenty of planes available for rent.

Sometimes they phone and tell you that a dual booking needs to be rescheduled for a couple of weeks from now because one of the planes needed maintenance and they don’t have a plane available.

Also since you’re not a full time student you’re last in line,. You don’t like a certain plane? Neither does anyone else. Here you go.

But it is under $200/hour for a 172, possibility the same unit people complained was worn out in 1997.

I suppose getting kicked off of flying the Citabria was my own fault for being honest.
David MacRay

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:37 pm
Nark wrote:
I don’t like to see that. Hope you’re doing okay.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 7:32 pm
Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:37 pm
Nark wrote:
I don’t like to see that. Hope you’re doing okay.
It’s not great but I really do believe we get to write our own autobiographies as we go so I plan to make the best of it.
Colonel

First divorce is the hardest.

This probably won’t help but there was this guy on the Acro mailing list that sold the same single seat Pitts three times. I am not making this up. Every time he got divorced he had to sell his Pitts to pay off his ex. He would save up his money, buy his Pitts back, get married again and when he got divorced again he would have to sell his Pitts to pay off his next ex. Again.
David MacRay

I don’t like the divorce part of the story, but I certainly admire the guy’s tenacity.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2024 1:30 pm
there was this guy on the Acro mailing list that sold the same single seat Pitts three times. I am not making this up. Every time he got divorced he had to sell his Pitts to pay off his ex.
I’m hoping that by not having kids I can afford to keep my biplane. Losing the house will blow though. Well, at least the equity in it.

But anyways I think this was a thread about buying airplanes? There’s a blue and white Champ for sale in the US for what seems like a good deal, though I’m sure I’ve seen it listed in multiple cities so buyer beware. It would be funny to use a mundane old airplane in a scam, I assume it’s either being listed by multiple brokers or the seller is trying to cast a wide net.
David MacRay

Too bad you’re not in the prairies. I could buy your biplane and you could just carry on flying it every chance you get.