Why the obsession with "complete" run ups 100% of the time

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Aircraft manufacturers love operations like that.
Boeing will take a massive PR hit to say "ya it was our planes fault" then sell Billions more orders of 737 Max's er um i meant 737-8 to Airlines with dubious safety records.
But remember kids safety first!

Back in the day I ferried an Islander out to Penticton from a "lease return" actually I might have repoed it before it was the cool thing to do on TV. Anyway they sent a guy to pick me up in 172 to haul my ass home, much nicer I thought than Jazz Dash 8 via YVR.

They had just arrived from YBW to pick me up. We hopped in he does a full power run-up.
I didn't want to be Captain big bars and let the kid (age 43) do what he thought was needed to get the plane home but I realized I better keep an eye open.

As we plotted east I noticed the roll clouds forming on the lee side of some peaks ahead. I dropped a few trial balloons, hints , suggestions and tips about downdrafts, turbulence, wind direction and how to generally read the weather in mountains.

You know pretty boring bullshit for a guy behind a Garmin G1000.

I thought he might take a hint but more pressing matters such as direct track took precedent. I snugged the belt tighter and "we" proceeded to learn that day.

Into the circuit I only had to point out the airplane "we" we're following by attempting to run over it twice.

I mean I could follow a guy on a full stop in by 400 feet but watching the circus unfolding in front of "us" that is the circuit at YBW and given our brief aviation history together I suggested we give him more room.
I only had to apply the brakes on the taxi as "we" almost crossed the intersecting runway without a clearance, but hey after landing checklists are critical in the mighty 172. After all I didn't want to experience the sound of bending metal that day, I guess I'm weird that way.

It was a great day "we" learned a lot.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.