License to learn

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

I think I am guilty of some of this.
trey kule wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:58 pm
In Canada... ... and racing as fast as possible to our destination.

This whole concept of extended x-country PIC has gotten my interest,
What I like best about having a PPL was being able to go far away somewhat fast but on my own schedule and being able to get very sidetracked.

Off to the beach, Abbotsford international air show, the national air and space museum. Awesome!

I understand it’s nice to occasionally just putter around do some turns and even circuits sometimes but..

A C-182 or a Cherokee Six would be perfect. Load my canines, some fishing gear, a tent clothes and be able to leave the snow and cold behind.

As for the CPL thing. I have heard of guys with one that had to train for awhile before they could take a plane somewhere as sole pilot on board . I’m pretty sure that is the purpose of requiring you do a 300 nautical mile trip. I seemed to be able to take a plane anywhere in range of fuel onboard and repeat the feat until I get where I eventually want to be.

After 300 miles that should be evident. People must be doing something odd to get credited for doing that yet somehow be too scared or timid to do it once hired as a pilot.

To a degree, I believe you’re right. Apart from navigation in places you have never seen before . A pilot should be able to get flight experience just enjoying your self operating a plane on slow short trips .

Liquid_Charlie

It would be interesting to have the stats on PPL pilots, in today's schools who actually want to be a PPL and not be transitioning to commercial and beyond.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Big Pistons Forever

Anecdotal evidence at the flight schools in my area is that older persons pursuing their PPL with no desire to fly commercially, is up substantially.

The general feeling is that people who would have ordinarily spent the money on a holiday can’t as a result of COVID restrictions and are trying flying instead.

The interesting question is whether they will keep it up after things return to normal. Personally I don’t think so as most schools don’t really want renter recreational pilots and passively discourage recreational pilots with very restrictive rental policies.

One thing I do find rather surprising is that all the flight schools are going flat out and have waiting lists for prospective students, most of whom are aiming for a career flying.
trey kule

Regarding ppl stats, I think the Air Cadet program might skew the stats a bit.

Its is odd, that in Europe they have real flying clubs. No higher license or ab initio
Training. In Canada...crickets! Except for the glider folks, who are able to train and provide aircraft. Maybe, if there is a resurgence of older ppls with no desire to do it for a living, we will see clubs being formed.