Why this fixation on the Pitts?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
cgzro

i enjoy the challange and find most aspects of the aircraft non trivial, rewarding to explore and a great depth to explore at a price that I can barely afford.

John Swallow

I think I would enjoy flying a Pitts, but at this stage of my life, I would not make use of all its capabilities.  My RV lets me go up and periodically put the ground under the canopy which is good therapy for what ails you.  What would appeal to me more is to have access to a Piper Cub and a Bell 47...

Every November, I start dropping hints via FaceBook that if somebody's children would send their father off to Stallion 51 in Florida for a P-51 ride, he would be most appreciative. They ignore me...  (;>0)
David MacRay

Short coupled, high power to weight (as long as I'm not on board), flys upside down well. Seems potentially fun like a nice dirt bike. Of course I don't ride dirt bikes any more but I understand why they can be fun.
Chuck Ellsworth

Yes they have high power to weight.

And they really climb with just me in them as I weigh 120 pounds after a big meal.  :)
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=5718.msg15046#msg15046 date=1488230495]
Yes they have high power to weight.

And they really climb with just me in them as I weigh 120 pounds after a big meal.  :)
[/quote]

Is being able to handle a Pitts the sole determination for a great pilot?

I posted a video of a 757 landing in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. Which Pitts expert would take a shot at that, on a wet runway? Yet the "4 bars" do it every day. No big deal.

Seems a lot more challenging to me.

Chuck Ellsworth

No flying a Pitts is no big deal and that is why I asked why so many make a big deal about it.

But flying a Boeing into Tegucigalpa day after day is impressive.
Rookie Pilot

Well, I think so.  I've been there once, as a pax. The approach, VFR only allowed, weaves in and around very close to mountain ridges. I think AA requires special sign off for captains on this route, which doesn't surprise me.