Pilots and mental illness

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

[quote author=mcrit link=topic=4169.msg11146#msg11146 date=1473449395]
I think the thought of getting their medicals pulled deters most pilots from getting help for stress/depression etc......
[/quote]

I think you hit the nail on the head there mcrit. Sometimes this job puts a ton of pressure on folks and if working conditions are to improve pilots have to be treated as fallible and able to seek treatment without prejudice. 

I know here in Alberta that lawyers get free sit downs with the shrink if needed, and it's covered by the bar association. The majority don't use it, but I know the ones dealing with putting kiddy didlers away and other such crimes need more than a shot of Jack Daniels at the end of the day. 

rudderless

Colonel Sanders.  I understand that you hate the regulator.  Whatever.  This man was a good friend of mine, and I had flown with him many times over the years.  This tragedy had nothing whatsoever  to do with Transport Canada, or with flying, in any way.  He was in a bad place, period.  End of.  So leave it at that.  I'm sure no one at TC is "happy" and "cheering a victory" at hearing the news.  Seriously?????
Colonel

Dennis used to work for me.  He told me how
much TC hated him, and I understood.

I met a TC Inspector once that told me how
much she hated Dennis.

They can go fuck themselves.
Chuck Ellsworth

Being on the receiving end of a TC campaign is the end of your career in Canada because they have the power to refuse you anything they choose to.

I left Canada and it was the best thing I ever did career wise.

I look at at TC as the most dangerous group I could ever come in contact with.

My resolution to that is I do not and will not communicate with them in any way ...ever.

JW Scud

I know he did have a couple of brushes with TC in the past that he had described to me. But there were other issues unfortunately as you described. He was a super keener general aviation guy but also with a hand in the airline world.He made a mistake and I think when it became apparent that after losing everything else, this big part of his life would be lost as well, it was the final straw.

He may have been a bit controversial in some ways but Dennis was good guy and always seemed to be in a good mood. He fought hard for general aviation and digging deeper at work into finding the truth.

He is one of four pilots off the top of my head that ended this way(although some are mostly rumour).