I should probably buy this C-182

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Everyone loves a shiny paint job for big bucks but ….

If you could find an antique with horrible, peeling, cracking paint but good metal underneath….

Buy it “cheap” because it has horrible cosmetics and strip it to bare Alcad. Put a stripe and letters on with decals.

It would actually be lighter than the shiny paint, and look ok to me.

Bonus if you can get it cheap because it has a disaster original interior. Replace with new. Not hard, just tedious. Like stripping paint.

In the words of Tommy Emmanuel, when you play guitar eith someone, play where he isn’t. Same thing getting value in used goods. I bought a pristine 190 mph 2007 Hayabusa for $6k with only 4400 miles on it. Looks like new and it will do the quarter mile in under 10 seconds. What would a similarly performing shiny car cost?

PS my kid had a good year, bought an AMG M-B autobahn rocket ship. It will spin it’s very wide rear tires accelerating at over 100 mph. I didn’t know a street car could do that.

F-35 RCAF will rely on CF-18 and use Australian F-18 aircraft until 2032
David MacRay

There’s this.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... e-aircraft

But where would TwinOtterFan and I put our offspring?

Also… Way less room for camping supplies and my coolers full of food and Dr Pepper.

Can I even get in and out of it?
Colonel

PS also bonus for original avionics. Stuff from even 5 years ago is considered garbage now. Everyone I know drops at least $100k into a full glass panel upgrade so get the crappiest avionics you can find, if you’re going to toss them anyways.
F-35 RCAF will rely on CF-18 and use Australian F-18 aircraft until 2032
Nark

David MacRay wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:38 pm
There’s this.

Also… Way less room for camping supplies and my coolers full of food and Dr Pepper.

They make belly pods for it. Just saying…
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

I didn’t see the weight and balance report but we were knocking off fuel on the Citabria and the instructor was lighter than Squaretail.

How many helium balloons do those belly pods hold?
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:43 pm

carburetor (O-470) and told you to fly it in cloud. Really? Without even a carb temp gauge
or even an idiot light to warn you about carb icing?
Actually all the carberreted O-470 installed 180s and 182 I have flown or seen had carb temp gauges. I assumed they were standard. Not that you want to fly any of the old Continentals in cloud even with one, they make ice faster than your refrigerator.

I liked the old narrow body 182s, they were the fastest. Real good pick-up truck airplanes. Unless you were hauling something really heavy like drill bits or car batteries, If you could get it in the cabin, you could fly with it.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
TwinOtterFan

David MacRay wrote:
Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:38 pm
There’s this.

Haha, ya that and where to put the actual plane.... Almost impossible to find hangar space and if you do its quite pricey.

I am still a pretty big fan of the 4 place Bearhawk,

https://bearhawkcanada.ca/bearhawk-4-place/
David MacRay

Agreed, those Bearhawks seem spectacular. I like the Patrol slightly better and believe I have only ever seen one finished unit for sale.

You might be right, the four place could carry a few more of those offspring.
TwinOtterFan

Ya last year there was one for sale. Seemed like a nice setup.
Slick Goodlin

The few Bearhawks I’ve seen in person looked excellent inside and out. They seem to have really captured that RV attitude of just following the plans and ending up with a consistently good airplane.