Impressively bad "landing".

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TundraTire

mcrit wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:03 am
14s from coming over the button until the mains touched. At ~ 100kts that’s 2400’.
I think they might be cooking along at a tad more than 100KIAS when they cross the first threshold.

TundraTire

I remember years ago a crew reporting they broke out at 100 feet, on a back course approach in yzf.

At the exact same time, there was a TC crew taxiing for departure.

The TC boys cancelled their flight, and followed the other crew to their ramp.
mcrit

TundraTire wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:15 pm
mcrit wrote:
14s from coming over the button until the mains touched. At ~ 100kts that’s 2400’.
I think they might be cooking along at a tad more than 100KIAS when they cross the first threshold.
I was being charitable to the crew.
Colonel

They were probably worried about the dreaded wings-level stall we see so frequently on short final these days

A prudent pilot adds 50 knots for safety, like those Air France guys at Pearson that touched halfway down the runway, drove through the ravine and let the pax out on highway 400. They must have received pre-clearance from Customs for that.
Nark

ahem, "709"

It’s triggered by a federal statute, 49 U.S.C. 44709(a). It states that the FAA may “at any time … re-examine an airman holding a certificate …”

Shhh don't tell the Col... I'm on the FAA Safety Team for my area. Its a volunteer group that presents classes routinely on all aspects of aviation. There is minimal requirements to join, just have a conversation with the local FAA inspector, a few online portal type classes, and you're good to go to put on a safety seminar. Much of the material is already created, you just have to form an audience and present it. It's what you put in to it.

To that point, we have monthly/quarterly meetings and hot topics are discussed. So to answer your question, perhaps 1 709 ride a quarter, depending on a number of factors. For a while, they were handing them (709's) out like candy; a few years ago the FAA went away from enforcement to "mentoring" whatever that means coming from the regulator. Now that they are seeing the manifestation of that, they are swinging back to enforcement.

Notable examples of how someone would get a 709 ride: you break a FAR egregiously. Or even better: they person who examined you is later discovered to be deficient, and everyone they have examined, now become invalid. A seaplane DPE in Arizona, or a Medical examiner come to mind. My good buddy was teaching a kid years ago, the kid reached up at retracted the gear on the touch and go, instead of the flaps. Boom, prop strike. The FAA didn't really blame my buddy, but kind of sort of, by giving him a 709 ride. He went for a hop in the pattern, and his certificate was reinstated.

It's just a tool in the toolbox to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

The 409 has them cool looking valve covers but you know what they say.

“There’s no replacement for displacement.”

So a 709 would be better.
Colonel

Yeah, yeah …

I swear it used to be called a 409.

They say memory is the second thing to go … and I can’t remember the first.

Too many G’s combined with too much sex is bad for you, I guess.
vanNostrum

TundraTire wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:15 pm
mcrit wrote:
I just watched the video on YT and making a very rough estimation they flew in 2 seconds over
two markers 500 feet apart , that is over 145 Knots
There are only 3 kind of people in this world
Those that can add and those that can't
Nark

Col,

I was thinking in your wifely duties around the house you were cleaning with a lot of 409:
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com