Dissimilar Formation

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark

Successfully hijacked this thread might as well add this.
A bunch of 4-bars came together to fly out for a pancake breakfast.

Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

You are doing the work of the missionary! Cross-country is boring, but cross-country formation is FUN!

I can't think of a better way to spend a sunny day, than to get a bunch of airplanes together and fly somewhere with friends.

Love the vis! And hands-on flying! Pushing buttons is for cash register checkouts :^)

Me in a Stearman I think, looking over my right shoulder. I think this is coming back from a fly-in
breakfast at Arnprior? Or maybe Renfrew?

Me number three echelon for the overhead break.

I wished I could have heard the four radial engines fly overhead!

Again, I have no idea why Canadians have such hatred for that kind of aviation.

It's a lot of fun. Try it. Try hating less, maybe? The energy that the haters put
into hating is pretty incredible. If they did something constructive with all that
energy, maybe they wouldn't be so unhappy and hating all the time?
anofly

I love the sound of 1, 2, 3 ,4 or more radials... I must be a bad canadian...LOL
John Swallow

"Again, I have no idea why Canadians have such hatred for that kind of aviation."

You haven't been back for a while, have you...

REMEMBRANCE 2021.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colonel

Not missing the hate.
Try hating less, maybe? The energy that the haters put into hating is pretty incredible.

If they did something constructive with all that energy, maybe they wouldn't be so unhappy and hating all the time?
John Swallow

I was referring to the comment about Canadians hating formation flying. It's still alive and well. Here in Vernon alone, we'll field between two and nine airplanes twice a week for formation flights. Up to Salmon Arm on Wednesdays and Penticton on Thursdays.
It used to be four or five times a week until COVID and the fires hit...

You get much formation flying down there...?
Big Pistons Forever

Same in Victoria. We manage a 3 or 4 ship most weekends

John; Are you guys using FAST SOP’s ?
John Swallow

FAST sops...

No. Too complicated for our purposes.

Added:

We are basically a one trick pony: we take off, join up for a bit of enroute flying, then proceed to destination. If it's Remembrance Day or Winter Carnival or such, we overfly the area, then return for a landing. Nothing 'fancy', no formation changes a la Snowbirds or anything like that. If a big formation, we reduce to three or four ship for an echelon pitch and land.

Everything is done by radio...
Colonel

Every once in a while I look up while I'm taxiing in and I see these formations drive down the runway:

No idea who the guy in the twin is, but he flies pretty good #4.
John Swallow

That looks like great fun! Nice to have such weather! If only we could move down south when/as required...

The accompanying video was taken on cell phone. Brother on wing; me in lead...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.