Sharing experience, Cooped up

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

A live mag can be a killer and ignition switch position is not always a reliable factor
Indeed. Those Bendix switches wear out and stop working correctly
and never seem to get replaced.

Also, I have had to replace p-leads that open somewhere. Go figure.

Colonel

One of the most important lessons a pilot needs to learn, is the difference between legal and safe.

When you learn to fly, you are hosed with an incredibly long list of regulations, and you are told
that if you spend the effort to memorize thousands of badly worded arbitrary rules, and have
"the right attitude" you will be a safe pilot.

Hahahahahahahahhhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahaha

Totalitarian propoganda, more than a little reminiscent of the Soviet Ministry of Information.

You can obey every regulation, and be terribly dangerous.

You can break every regulation, and be quite safe.

The difference between the paper world and the read world must be learned. They do not
perfectly overlap. Sometimes, there is no overlap at all, and they are only very loosely coupled.

First, you need to be safe, so that you don't bleed.

Second, you need to be legal, to protect yourself from a government that has no interest in your
safety whatsoever - just Control, Power, Politics and Pension (CPPP).

At various times in your career, with no warning whatsoever, you will encounter a situation which
requires that you break every rule in the book, in order to survive. This will piss off all sorts of
armchair quarterbacks on the ground, who will spend six months criticizing what you had 60 seconds
to deal with. Ask Peter Burkill about this, sometime.

You can either be alive with a letter in the mail from Enforcement.

Or you can be dead with your pilot licence intact.

Your choice. I think you know which mine is, which is why I can't live in Canada any more.

SKIN TIN TICKET
Colonel

Ask yourself one question: "Is the metal happy?"

Is it corroding?

Is it cracking?

Is it too hot?

Do you have metal grinding on dry metal?

If you put a little thought into keeping the metal happy, your life will be a lot less exciting.
Colonel

Here's a great example of how not to land:

No commentary required. If you can't figure out what he did wrong,
mail your booklet back to Suite 400, 4900 Yonge St.
Nark

I think I mentioned something about energy management.

Kudos for him trying to taxi back.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

One thing that's handy around an airport, is to build a dolly with
some really strong wheels, so that when an aircraft blows a tire,
you can get a bunch of guys to lift it up on that side, and strap
the blown tire on the dolly and wheel it off the runway.

Another airport essential is a barrel of smoke oil and one of those
really terrible wobble pumps from Harbor Freight, with a long clear
hose on it.

JW Scud

Colonel wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:27 pm
When I lived in Canada, I was always having the same discussion. People thought you
had to do what was in the AIP. No. You can only be charged with a contravention of
the CARs not the AIP. Pilots struggled greatly to comprehend that.
Not hard to comprehend. But what one needs to comprehend is the charge of reckless operation of an aircraft. They will get you on that one if you haven't broken a reg but gone against an AIP(now AIM ) recommendation. Apparently the same in the US. So, nice to know info about not breaking a reg when you went against the AIP but they can still get you.

An example could be doing a straight-in approach on a VFR arrival. I have done it many times. But if there is an incident, an inspector might decide to throw the reckless charge at you, especially if they don't like you.

And yes, I have been told that by a TC enforcement guy in a friendly discussion. FAA is apparently the same. If they don't like you, they will get you somehow.
Colonel

what one needs to comprehend is the charge of reckless operation
Spent many years in many levels of court discussing that one. In Canada CAR 602.01
is kind of a prize for originality - you have done something novel, that no one else has
done in the last 100 years of aviation, that didn't occur to TC to prohibit. That's the
kind interpretation, anyways.
FAA is apparently the same. If they don't like you, they will get you somehow.
Of course. Ask Bob Hoover, whom in 1993 lost his medical due to a puzzling diagnosis
of "Cognitive Dissonance". Bob moved to Australia, did his CPL exams, got a medical
with no problem, and flew airshows there. When the United States Senate asked the
FAA for more details on the medical diagnosis of "Cognitive Dissonance", the FAA announced
a medical miracle - the condition had gone into remission. This was even more miraculous,
because the FAA announced this good news without a second examination of Bob.

Not all of us have the United States Senate calling the FAA Administrator onto the carpet.

As OJ Simpson demonstrated, you get the justice you can afford. In Bob's case, as a
genuine war hero, he had some powerful friends that weren't afraid to go toe-to-toe
with some pretty nasty bureaucrats.
especially if they don't like you
How incredibly unprofessional. And they don't care if everyone knows it. Remarkable.

Similarly remarkable is the recent and unprecedented gutting of the FBI. James Comey,
Andrew McCabe, James Baker, Peter Strok - the leadership entirely gone, after a similar
bureaucratic attack on a democratically elected President (that they tried to stop being
elected!)

It's mind-blowing that these bureaucrats think they are above everyone else - the law,
the democratic process, the duly elected President of the United States.

They are fucking scary. And immensely powerful. These bureaucrats tried - and almost
succeeded - in defeating the most powerful man in the world.

Think about that. Government bureaucrats are the true oligarchs.
Liquid_Charlie

Air density or density altitude really demonstrated its self to me. I took a while to sink in but I finally figured it out. When i was flying the boeing 72 we would do a sked north and usually had great landings with no hard arrivals and the next day do a charter to the Caribbean and thump it on with an arrival that usually got a comment like "now my tits are down around my ankles from the F/A in the back. Just a tad more speed on the approach and final fixed the issue and deploying a few O2 masks was fixed-- :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Nark

Liquid Charlie, that’s a great point.

Flying in to Bogota (around 8,000) is vastly different than at sea level during a cool day.

Also, I’m kind of ticked that I have to explain to 3 bars why the airplane does somethings. Here’s a hint: the A320 series has the exact same foundation as the 150 you learned on. Just because it’s bigger and has more computers, doesn’t change the fundamentals.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com