So........ ya wanna be a Test Pilot Eh ?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel link=topic=556.msg2078#msg2078 date=1438174887]Sure, but they could have gone gullwing like the Corsair...  Think of how fast the H-1
could have been![/quote]
"If they made the H-1 like a Corsair, it could have been as fast as a Corsair!"

Slick Goodlin

I'm curious because I'm sure the day will come when I'm asked to test fly a fresh restoration: what should the test flight(s) consist of if the design is certified?  I was thinking you'll know right away if it's straight or needs re-rigging, maybe a stall to ensure the Cub stalls like a Cub, then back to land.  Shut down, post flight inspection, tell the owner that you figure his plane isn't out to kill him and watch the temps and pressures closely for the next few hours, then hop in your car after collecting the zero dollars he's probably paying you.

GoBoy, what did you do to test fly your airplane after putting it back together?
Colonel

Wing placement on an aircraft
with no airframe speed limit:

[img]http://www.aeroflight.co.uk/wp-content/ ... 4S-005.jpg[/img]

PS  F-16 was designed to turn.
It's actually pretty speedy, too
(mach 2)
GoBoy

[quote author=Slick Goodlin link=topic=556.msg2085#msg2085 date=1438208027]
I'm curious because I'm sure the day will come when I'm asked to test fly a fresh restoration: what should the test flight(s) consist of if the design is certified?  I was thinking you'll know right away if it's straight or needs re-rigging, maybe a stall to ensure the Cub stalls like a Cub, then back to land.  Shut down, post flight inspection, tell the owner that you figure his plane isn't out to kill him and watch the temps and pressures closely for the next few hours, then hop in your car after collecting the zero dollars he's probably paying you.

GoBoy, what did you do to test fly your airplane after putting it back together?
[/quote]

Well Tim

First off I doubt I will ever test someone's aircraft as I watched a guy sue my buddies widow for loss of the aircraft he tested and died in. I also dont want to clear an aircraft to someone as many things can go wrong in the first 20 hrs post restoration. Blame can come back to the test pilot
On my aircraft, I alone did all the work and nobody else. That way I could be confident of the work and all liability would be my own.

Since I have close to 600 + hrs on type, I flew the aircraft myself in consultation with an actual ex RCAF Test pilot present. Between the two of us we came up with a simple test plan
Also , no engine removal or unhooking was c/out during repaint )
Aircraft was reassembled and rigged as per the aircraft erection manual
After my inspection, all work was given a second inspection by a aircraft restorer familiar with type 

Flights
#1) Took aircraft above airfield , set up cruise and trimmed for level flight
      Aircraft began a slow decent left wing low and required full nose up trim
      Returned to airfield. Gave the aircraft an initial post flight inspection.
      Adjusted rear strut on left wing to longer length . This lowered the trailing edge thus raising the       
      leading edge.
#2)  Same circuit pattern and trim > aircraft still wanted to descend but now level with no wing drop
        Landed aircraft.
#3) At this point we were unsure why we had the nose drop even with full trim up
      After much discussion and review of the rigging measurements and instructions, we realized 
      that the manual did not specify angle of incidence for the top wing
      We proceeded to to use the Incidence board on the top wing and discovered the wing was
      -3 deg . Our Test Pilot suggested that I adjust the top wing to 0 Deg
        I made a phone call to the leading authority on type and he agreed that this should correct the issue.
        The adjustment was made by lengthening the diagonal cabane strut on each side
#4)  Went up above the filed , trimmed aircraft and it now flew straight and level.
#5)  Landed spoke with my Test Pilot and decided to take the aircraft to the practice area. Climb to
        3500 ft . Then proceeded to set the aircraft into slow flight and carried out basic maneuvers to see how
        she flew (all ok)
        Again at 3500 ft and conducted pwr off and pwr on stalls ( again all ok )
        A this point I returned to the field and the aircraft was give another thorough going over
#6)  Flew the aircraft a further 10 hrs in the circuit to ensure all was well