Pilot Jobs

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
BCPilotguy

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=8659.msg23792#msg23792 date=1530416646]
Heh.

[quote]came out of flight school with a commercial/multi IFR and is now in the right seat of a 737, six months later[/quote]

I know there are some people that despite living the Cinderella
story, get up to speed on the job.  But I fear that others do not,
and as a result have the depth of a puddle when stuff goes south.
[/quote]

With the massive demographic shift in my industry (rail) I've seen a similar decline in skills. Things that we used to take for granted that a railroader should know we now take for granted that they don't know. With all of the retirements combined with a huge increase in traffic and new hiring to compensate some skills have definitely been lost within the collective memory.

[quote author=Eric Janson link=topic=8659.msg23829#msg23829 date=1530616545]
I wouldn't trade my 7 years at Buffalo Airways.
Things I learned there have kept me out of trouble flying large jets around the World.
Makes my CV stand out from everyone else's and I get some interesting reactions when people find out I worked there.

There's only so much you can learn from a book.

[font=Verdana][/font][/quote][font=Verdana][/font]

That is the truth. I'm a locomotive engineer, you can draw a lot of parallels between railroading and flying as a career. I spent the first decade of my career on the former BC Rail territory which is mountainous, remote, and more akin to driving roller coasters than freight trains. I work the main line now and make a whole lot more money, but I developed skills on the former BC Rail that I use every day. I never would have developed those skills (not to mention had the adventures and stories to tell) had I spent my whole career on the main line. 

[quote author=Rookie Pilot link=topic=8659.msg23831#msg23831 date=1530624248]
I'm just a random Internet Troll who knows nothing -- the experts like Goldeneagle know much more --but these trends do not happen early in the business cycle.

Enjoy it while it lasts.  Bank a chunk of money. Reduce borrowing leverage.

Next recession closer than it seems.
[/quote]

Amen.

I regularly preach this to the new hires at work, most of whom are now making more money than they've ever seen by a significant margin (but don't necessarily know how to handle it). Things are booming now but that won't last forever. It makes me shake my head when I see some guy with a whopping two months on the job roll into work in his new $80000 pickup, little does he know that a layoff is only a slight dip in traffic away. For most it goes in one ear and out the other, but occasionally I get one who actually listens.

Rookie Pilot

[quote author=BCPilotguy link=topic=8659.msg23837#msg23837 date=1530643237]

I regularly preach this to the new hires at work, most of whom are now making more money than they've ever seen by a significant margin (but don't necessarily know how to handle it). Things are booming now but that won't last forever. It makes me shake my head when I see some guy with a whopping two months on the job roll into work in his new $80000 pickup, little does he know that a layoff is only a slight dip in traffic away. For most it goes in one ear and out the other, but occasionally I get one who actually listens.
[/quote]

They will learn the hard way.  Like always.
Why do the rich get richer and poor get poorer?  Money management.  Being a student. Avoiding debt.
Not "luck". 
I have little sympathy for the stubbornly stupid when the next recession comes -- and I give a lot of free thoughts on my twitter feed -- because like you say, most simply do not listen.

I've never paid 80K for a vehicle, even though I can for cash, all day long. I bought my BMW, perfect new like condition, half price. Barely broken in. Cash. 

I'm buying deep recessionary stocks right now, but shhhhh don't tell anyone. They are starting to move, too. Maybe I'm not the only idiot doing that.

But don't listen to me. Unlike the smart people like GoldenEagle, I don't even have a degree.  O0  Even financial advisors have letters. They must know more. None of them like recessionary stocks.

BCPilotguy

[quote author=Rookie Pilot link=topic=8659.msg23838#msg23838 date=1530643896]
and I give a lot of free thoughts on my twitter feed
[/quote]

What's your handle?
Colonel

[quote]Why do the rich get richer and poor get poorer?[/quote]

Because the rich know how to make money and the poor don't?

Is that some kind of trick question?  Do I win a prize?

Sometime, I will tell you about Tony Li, PhD.  You will not believe
it, but it is the truth.  IQ at least 160.  He makes pretty well everyone
look developmentally handicapped.
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=8659.msg23846#msg23846 date=1530673560]
[quote]Why do the rich get richer and poor get poorer?[/quote]

Because the rich know how to make money and the poor don't?

Is that some kind of trick question?  Do I win a prize?

Sometime, I will tell you about Tony Li, PhD.  You will not believe
it, but it is the truth.  IQ at least 160.  He makes pretty well everyone
look developmentally handicapped.
[/quote]

Truth is, most with letters in my world might as well use them for toilet paper.
About as useful. Meaningless.

Colonel

The most insignificant thing Tony Li ever accomplished was getting his PhD.

Getting a PhD for him was about as much effort as you getting a burger
at MacDonald's.  He is that bright, and you would be horrified at how many
[b]hundreds of millions of dollars[/b] he walked away from, over and over again.

He's not motivated by money.  He [b]creates value[/b], and money pours down
over him like water in the shower for you.  That's probably difficult for
someone in the money business to comprehend, but it's true.
mcrit

I'm buying deep recessionary stocks right now, but shhhhh don't tell anyone. They are starting to move, too. Maybe I'm not the only idiot doing that.
[/quote]

What are recessionary stocks? 
David MacRay

I'm probably developmentally handicapped. Takes me much longer to learn things than regular folks. I can sometimes learn more eventually.

So what kind of value does Tony create?
Rookie Pilot

[quote author=mcrit link=topic=8659.msg23854#msg23854 date=1530722199]
[/quote]

What are recessionary stocks?
[/quote]

I'm only guessing as I don't have a PHD
Colonel

https://www.linkedin.com/in/tonyli2/

I am sure he has no idea what a recessionary stock is,
doesn't care, and has walked away from more money
than anyone who does.