SAF703 AN-148 Black Box Data Tells of Chaos Before Plane Crash Near Moscow

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Four Bars

This oversight is nothing new. I recall a 727 with only the three pilots onboard departing JFK(?) and forgetting the probe heat after engine start.
Ended up stalling the airplane with the nose so high that the aircraft spun and broke the tail off...

Eric Janson

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7958.msg22087#msg22087 date=1518977699]

I remember reading some years back than in 7 of the 8
last airbus accidents, they would not have occurred if the
pilot had let go of the stick.  That's probably not true, but
it's interesting to think about.

[b]STOP MAKING THINGS WORSE[/b]
[/quote]

You're quite correct Colonel - sometimes doing nothing is the correct option. Especially if you're not sure about what is going on.

One thing I would add to your posts (for more complex aircraft). Disconnect the automatics (Autopilot/Autothrust and also don't forget to turn off the Flight Directors). These may give you false information/visual cues due to the way they are designed to respond.

For Fly-by-wire you may need to turn off the protections and put the aircraft into alternate law.

You should know the pitch/power settings to maintain level flight in your aircraft type.

Example:- airbus A340. 2.5 degrees of pitch and 88% N1 will keep you out of trouble while you see what is going on.
David MacRay

Just to clearify. They can't automate pitot heat but soon they will have computers flying instead of people? Good luck with that.
Nark1

Dave, 

The Airbus has automatic "pilot" heat.  (We call them Air Data Computer, or SMART probe's) If I recall the Embraer 170/190 also has automatic probe heat (auto anti-ice too). 

Further, from the jumpseat view, the 737 and CRJ's don't have probe heat switches either... at least I can't remember the folks moving a switch when entering icing. 

The A320/321's still need the human touch.  I'd be interested to chat with 787/A350 dudes to see if they intervene all that much.
Slick Goodlin

[quote author=Colonel Sanders link=topic=7958.msg22087#msg22087 date=1518977699]
[b]Do you have lots of altitude?[/b]  Seriously consider letting go of the flight controls.
[/quote]
In China they went a step further:
[img width=500 height=339]https://cdn.jetphotos.com/full/1/61933_1229429611.jpg[/img]
[img]http://[color=rgb(34, 34, 34)][font=arial][size=small]https://goo.gl/images/z6WNBu[/size][/font][/color][/img]
That white line in the CJ-6 is supposedly there as a reference to line the stick up on when you find yourself in an unusual attitude.
Liquid Charlie

The colonel brought up a good point. When I'm flying non-automated aircraft I always let go of the controls if I'm looking around or searching for something or just scratching my balls. The aircraft will fly straighter and wings level if you do this but hang on and there will be unwanted pressures put on the controls and you will find yourself either in a big ass turn, climbing or descending or a combination of all of the above --  >:D
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote] searching for something or just scratching my balls.[/quote]

Isn't that a task normally assigned to your F.O.?
Nark1

Dave,

I was thinking of you during the walk around. 

The picture shows both probes and static port.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David MacRay

I know. I'm being crazy.

Part of my point is that even if the pitot was heated automatically. Instead of not being turned on by a guy that wishes he was in the office instead of having to hand fly a King Air. "I really like the guy I'm talking about but why become a pilot?"

If for some reason the probe stops heating, with too much automation (I know fly by wire is reality, get used to it) the computers are just going to crash like the guys in SAF703 did.

Thanks for the picture. What does the red writing say in the red square?
"Caution, hot burny static port. Don't lean here." sort of thing?
Nark1

Dave,

No prob.

Look above the port, it's in English...