Info overload???

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Eric Janson

[quote author=DeflectionShot link=topic=5307.msg13639#msg13639 date=1483716441]
Do you think this guy has enough screens in his cockpit? Looks like he's flying a mission to Mars. I don't fly IFR but it's hard to believe there used to be a time when pilots used two navcoms.[/quote]

The first time I started flying EFIS equippped jets it was indeed information overload - until I learned where to look.

Had this again when I switched from Boeing to airbus - took close to a year to feel comfortable with the aircraft as everything is different (even to the point of using different colours on the displays).

Have another look at the furthest left screen on the photo you posted. This is what is called a PFD (Primary Flight Display).

On the left you have your airspeed then your horizon in the center with the altimeter on the right. Below your horizon you have heading display.

That's your "Basic T" except in this case it is all displayed on one screen.

It may look complicated but it's really not.

John Swallow

Three GPS aids in my aircraft.  The iPad with Foreflight normally installed for cross-country flights because of the ability to upload flight plans to the panel mounted Dynon with Skyview.  The Garmin 496 is a back-up.

As for pining for the "Good Old Days", I've crossed Canada a few times with compass, map, and time piece.  I've done radio range approaches and aural null time/distance/homing/approaches and executed back course ILS approaches.  Been there; done that; don't want to do it again.  I'm quite happy with my GPS!  (;>0)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ScudRunner-d95

Does that Dynon have a built in GPS/NAV all in one?

As for pinning for the old days heres my attempt at humour:
navcanada-keeps-real/
John Swallow

I love the story. 

The sensors for the Garmin and the Dynon are hidden under the fiberglass cowling forward of the firewall. Although Skyview is capable of IFR approaches with the appropriate data base, I just fly VFR...  The synthetic vision is really great for flying in marginal weather.