Citation Into Lake Erie, 6 dead

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

These accidents just keep happening over and over.

At this point we do not know what happened to cause this accident.

However it is my personal belief that the method of training is partly to blame for pilots not being able to control the airplane by reference to the flight instruments once all outside clues disappear because they were trained to fly instruments wearing a fucking hood which is an unorthodox means of blocking out all outside references.

Why did the training industry quit using two stage amber?

Using two stage amber is the best method of blocking all vision outside of the airplane and I never could figure out why they quit using it....

...except maybe they are just to fucking lazy to install it because that requires a bit of physical effort.

Strega

[youtube][/youtube]

Why is it a 20 something kid from Texas can fly IMC all day long in a spam can, and all is good, but here in kAnadA we cant even have "professional" pilots not crash into mountains/water on a rainy or dark night?
vanNostrum

[quote author=Rookie Pilot link=topic=5255.msg13466#msg13466 date=1483224757]
Depart Rwy 9, Ottawa Rockcliffe, on an overcast, hazy night. Last third isn't lighted, or wasn't last time I was there, then over the dark river. Fun stuff. Longer runways at night are easier, can glance down and see the lights receding, helps the transition. Not Rockcliffe.
[/quote]

In 1985 I got my NR @ Rockliffe 
[font=verdana][size=small]Departing 09,as soon as the seven runway lights were left behind there was just a big black void ahead,[/size][/font]
[size=small][font=verdana]just the darkness of the river and few lights on the ground as [/font][/size][size=small]Ottawa's east was mostly farm land.[/size]
[font=verdana][size=1em]On the crosswind turn, the lights on the Quebec side did not become visible until  the turn was completed[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]I  divided my attention between the flight instruments and looking outside for traffic, lots of nordo then[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]Looking back I wish I had had more experience than 5 hrs hood time before flying in these conditions[/size][/font]

[font=verdana][size=1em]Regarding the runway lights, in the 70's DOT was testing a microwave ILS system and a STOL service,Twin Otter,[/size][/font][font=verdana][size=1em] Toronto Island, Rockliffe and Montreal, Expo 67 converted parking space.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]To qualify for STOL, the runway had to be no more than 1400' that is 7 lights 200'apart[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em] Departing 27 it was a strange feeling  to leave unused more than half of the runway behind[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]Some times I felt that it was more risky to comply with this requirement than using part of the unlit [/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em]runway to initiate the take off run.[/size][/font]
[font=verdana][size=1em] I did what I thought was safest