Center lines...

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Nark1

Why the fook are they optional?

Watching youtubes of people and their planes. I guess it's good enough if they find the correct the airport. Landing on the centline is optional at this point.

Flew with 2 different captains, who also thought centerlines are optional.

Chuck Ellsworth

All my first officers landed on the center line or they did not get to land at all.

I had one FO who actually made a complaint to the company that I was bullying him by insisting he land on the center line.....it went all the way to the union and in the end the problem was solved by me.

I refused to fly with him.

David MacRay

I'm not saying you were wrong because he should have been trying to do his best but.. sounds like you bullied him.

Maybe he learned his lesson later flying with guys that just let him slide.
Chuck Ellsworth

No I was not bullying him.

When I first told him I would not accept landing so far off the centre line his main wheel was almost in the grass his reply was he was on the runway.

I explained to him if we had a tire blow out on that side there would be no room to correct before it went off the runway.

His answer was the chance of a tire blowing out was remote.

On his next landing he was way off the centre line on approach and down to the flare so I said I have control and moved it back to the centre line for touch down.

When we shut down I told him he would no longer be doing any landings because of his inability to fly accurately.

He went to a pay phone and called the company and it went down hill from there.

During my over half a century flying he was one of the few pilots I would not fly with or employ...

...one of the other ones is now with TC .....

Colonel

Despite how they strut, it's worthwhile
remembering that TC is not full of people
whom all repeatedly turned down high-paying
job offers from the private sector.
Chuck Ellsworth

Does anyone here think I was being unfair to that FO?
Liquid Charlie

I'm confused. Is a center line the same as a centre line  >:D
Chuck Ellsworth

Charlie, it all depends on if you are landing under VFR or IFR rules.
praveen4143

[quote author=Chuck Ellsworth link=topic=4425.msg11644#msg11644 date=1475455274]
Does anyone here think I was being unfair to that FO?
[/quote]

If the Private Pilot flight test guide required a 45 hour (or so) pilot to land within 15 feet of runway centre line, then having to actually ask a Commercial Pilot who flies for hire to land on the centre line is a sad joke. It is a pure and simple requirement. If you are initially unable, practice and work harder at it. If you are unable even after practice, you seriously need to consider doing something you might be better at.

There's only so far one can go while trying to be politically correct!