Canadian Bureaucrats Tried To Stop Ebola Vaccine Development

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

[url=http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... back-ebola]http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canad ... back-ebola[/url]

[quote]In Guinea, it is known as the Canadian vaccine.

They showed a single dose of the vaccine was up to 100 per cent effective in protecting against Ebola after 10 days. The results made global headlines and the WHO declared the world was “on the verge of a highly effective Ebola vaccine.”

Stephen McGurk, acting president at the International Development Research Centre and a vice-president, programs and partnership, a key Canadian participant in the Guinea vaccine trials, calls the results extraordinary.

“Having a successful trial in a critical disease is extremely rare. Under emergency conditions to have a trial as successful as this one — with 100 per cent efficacy — is once in a lifetime.

[b]“The significance of this vaccine cannot be overstated.”[/b][/quote]

Sounds great, right?  Something to be proud
of, as a Canadian.  But of course:

[quote]Plummer routinely fended off questions from within the federal bureaucracy
about the value of Ebola research, something he calls a [b]“low level constant battle.”[/b]

“Why are you doing Ebola research? We don’t have Ebola in Canada,” Plummer says he was often asked.

He successfully made the case that the research was part of the lab’s mandate, and important.

The work continued, said Plummer, a recipient of the prestigious Gairdner prize for
his groundbreaking research on HIV in Africa, [b]“because the scientists were insistent
and because I pushed it.”[/b][/quote]

Thanks again, Federal bureaucrats!  You're a big help, as always.

One has to wonder if the usual creeps in the bureaucracy
had any racial motivation.

mcrit

[quote][font=verdana][size=11px]One has to wonder if the usual creeps in the bureaucracy[/size][/font][font=verdana][size=11px] had any racial motivation.[/size][/font][/quote][font=verdana][size=11px]

In Canada?  Half of our beuracrats are recent arrivals from Ebola hot zones......[/size][/font]
ScudRunner-d95

I'm pretty sure I got Ebola from that Taco Bell in Surrey
Colonel

bureaucrats just can't stay out of the news:

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comme ... the-unions

[quote]The workforce is becoming increasingly polarized into two groups:
[u]non-unionized private-sector workers[/u] and [u]unionized public-sector workers[/u].
[b]More than five out of every six Canadian workers fall into one of these two categories[/b].

This state of affairs poses some obvious dangers and it’s not clear that the Canadian
union movement recognizes the precarious nature of its situation. Namely, that [i]people
may stop making the distinction between “unions” and “public-sector workers.” [/i]

Since gains in public-sector remuneration are made at the expense of the taxpayer —
not rich capitalists — [b]Canadians may become increasingly less inclined to see unions
as a force for the public good, and increasingly more inclined to see them as a force
for entrenched privilege[/b].[/quote]