The Times they are a changing

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
ScudRunner-d95

[url=http://www.envoyair.com/2016/09/14/now- ... ew-pilots/]http://www.envoyair.com/2016/09/14/now- ... ew-pilots/[/url]

[quote]Envoy will increase starting pay for new hire pilots fro[u]m $25.84 to $37.90, e[/u]ffectively beginning our new hires at Step 3 of the existing pilot pay scale. Combined with an up to [u]$20,000 signing bonus and a $20,000 First Officer retention bonus[/u] paid following one year of service, Envoy First Officers’ earning potential ranks at the top of the industry.
[/quote]

When I was chucking bags waay bag in 2000 you needed 5000 hours and 500 on type to get a job flying a navajo, Of the 20-30 odd wannabee pilot rampies I knew from back then only 5 of us are still in the industry 4 are flying 1 ATC.

I know several yanks whom we canucks thought they had it made with their green cards could not put food on the table and moved on to other more lucrative careers working at bars.

Its not a pilot shortage its always been a pay shortage.

Rookie Pilot

"Always been a pay shortage" 

This reply is going to sound harsh. Warned in advance.

This is a world of personal choices. No one is forcing anyone at the point of a gun to pursue aviation as a career, for wages they aren't happy with. It's a competive market, as is the passenger and freight markets for aircraft services.  Last I looked, doesn't seem like small time aviation is the automatic path to wealth.

I'm not in the industry but honestly here is how I see it -- the same as mine in many respects: 

After an expensive education, almost always paid by Mommy and Daddy, said young apprentice demands top wages and respectful treatment right out of the gate, while refusing to get their hands remotely dirty (I'm sure some posters come to mind) let alone do anything remotely considered extra.

In my industry such snot nosed larvae are in for a rude shock when after graduating a top tier school, they are barely qualified to sweep floors -- cause they know nothing.

I think better learning experience would be for kids to all leave home at 18 or so, and without a dime start a company and make it succeed. That is a real learning experience.

Not taught in our bleeding heart nanny state.