Touch and goes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
esp803

Colonel Sanders wrote: What a waste of a brain, but you can't tell a woman
anything.
Well that got dark.

goldeneagle

I almost responded 'over there' on the silliness, but refrained.

Scenario we used to run into regularly late in the summer.  Many folks had not done a night landing for a few months, because there wasn't much night around.  Problem, folks had to be on standby to do a trip south on a moments notice, the aircraft were on 24x7 standby for medevac.  By mid August, we'd have folks that hadn't done enough night landings to be legal going south at night with pax on board.  Solution, jump in the airplane and do as many circuits as required to make folks legal for night landings again, often it required 5.  That process meant, 4 x t&g and 1 x fs landing.  This being an aircraft that requires different flap settings for takeoff/climb vs landing, it was considered normal to re-position flaps after touch.

I go a step further with this, a planned t&g is not some form of emergency or some such, it's just a planned exercise probably briefed in advance.  I expect that same pilot to be able to do a go around from 20 feet, which requires re-positioning gear and flaps in the process, and more often that not, during training, that go-around would include an engine failure just to up the workload.  So we expect the person to be able to respond to a go around, with engine failure, not briefed, and not prepared for, yet they try tell me a planned t&g that requires changing of flaps is 'to much' ?

I just dont get it.

I'm glad that I am not involved in this business to any great extent anymore.

Chuck Ellsworth

I also am happy I no longer am flying with the mindset that runs aviation now Goldeneagle, today's pilot is a one airplane one trick pony blindly following SOP's that may have been put in place by a semi moron.

I was fortunate to have flown in the era where pilots flew airplanes, airplanes did not fly pilots.

I had one job where I was chief pilot and flew a real mix of aircraft randomly day after day.

Tail wheel singles, tail wheel twins and nose wheel singles, nose wheel twins plus we had three helicopters.

PPC's did not exist and as long as a pilot demonstrated he/she could think ahead of what he/she was flying and was checkod out on it you just flew it if required.
JMACK

It was not that long ago that sims would not complete a pilots PPC you needed to go do touch and goes. The airborne portion of PPC it was a TC Req!  Dash-8 727 L-1011 F-28 747 etc etc etc how did we all survive?

Runway length is pretty important, though.
Colonel

Yes.  Runway length, like lots of fuel, gives
you much more time, and that makes your
life a lot easier.  People are less prone to
make mistakes when you don't hurry them.

This is too complicated for many to understand.