PPL and Cat 4 Medical

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
GoBoy

vanNostrum wrote: Presumably a RPP could fly from Coast to Coast to Coast , over inhospitable terrain for hundred of miles, fly in 1 Mile visibility , fly a float plane into any remote lake, cross the Rockies,all of this legally however a PPL NR doing night circuits in a 150 at the local airport would be illegal. And both have the same medical.Wow.
You must follow VFR rules when flying with an RPP

Liquid Charlie

Legal smegal -- I know personally that if I owed a IFR equipped aircraft I would fly imc and never bother renewing my instrument rating, I know the rules have changed but I always have figured after thousands of hours of IFR flying why would I spend money on training and an instructor. I also know many people in the past who lost medicals and kept on flying, in remote areas, or off of farm strips. Ya ya I know, what a bad attitude and liability issues but if you are on floats, off a farm strip or private strip with no residential areas it's only a piece of paper and as long as you are not "taking" someone with you. No fowl. The point, a piece of paper does not mean it's safe, maybe legal but there is too much emphasis on legal these days. I witness this every day where the first thing out of someone's moth is "it's legal" (like dispatching an aircraft vfr at 300/1 ) there are too many holes in the ground because of this attitude.
Colonel

Legal smegal
Indeed.

I looked up CAR 401 ...

ATPL includes CPL and PPL privileges
CPL includes PPL privileges
PPL includes ultralight privileges

But none of the above mention RPP privileges.

So if you drop to a class 4 medical, to exercise
RPP privileges, if you hold PPL/CPL/ATPL, first
you need to get an RPP from TC.

Which you can do.  Just call them up, and tell them
you want to (permanently) trade in your PPL for an
RPP.

Now, that's what TC wants - the PPL and the RPP
to be mutually exclusive. 

But, I don't see anything in the CARs that states
that you CANNOT hold both a PPL and an RPP.

You should be able to call up TC and have them
additionally send you an RPP to go with your PPL.
You must follow VFR rules when flying with an RPP
Right.  RPP allows PIC privileges:

- Day VFR
- Canada
- single engine (not high performance, no multi-engine)
- wheels or floats
- four seats maximum
- one passenger maximum
- also ultralight
vanNostrum

Does having a Cat 4 Medical implies not been as '' healthy'' as someone having a Cat 3 ?
One can fly gliders x country , attempt some kind of altitude record or do aerobatics ( didn't see any restricctions ) with a Cat 4
all activities more phisically demanding than night flying
I'm wondering where is the logic

GoBoy

vanNostrum wrote: Does having a Cat 4 Medical implies not been as '' healthy'' as someone having a Cat 3 ?
One can fly gliders x country , attempt some kind of altitude record or do aerobatics ( didn't see any restricctions ) with a Cat 4
all activities more phisically demanding than night flying
>There is not much logic in it al all  example :why cant you fly into the US with a RPP ?...because ICAO does not recognize the RPP as an approved document
I spoke with an FAA Inspector and he had never even heard of the RPP and as far as he was concerned it was not an issue flying into the states with it .
However ,  you will find that your insurance will be void if you do so because TC is quite clear that you cannot do it
Further , there is more to this that is hidden , there is a loophole that can be used to fly legally (sort of) into the US with an RPP
I am not going to put my head in the noose and discuss it on an open forum .

>A class 4 is a self declared medical endorsed by your family Doctor and signed by both of you
It is less stringent than a  class 3

>All this will change is a few years.
Currently IN the US , regulations are moving thru congress that will  see the US Drivers License become your medical to get a US PPL or Sport pilot License.
I'm told that TC will most likely follow suit within years of the FAA implementation
Slick Goodlin

On the subject of flying across the border, it would be nice if TC and the FAA could just allow RPPs and LSAs to go into each other's country.  They're basically the same thing, no?
vanNostrum

Colonel Sanders
Now, that's what TC wants - the PPL and the RPP
to be mutually exclusive. 

But, I don't see anything in the CARs that states
that you CANNOT hold both a PPL and an RPP.

You should be able to call up TC and have them
additionally send you an RPP to go with your PPL

In your rich experience dealing with TC , do you think that the CARs been silent on the subjet ,is enough to have them change their default position?

GoBoy
>A class 4 is a self declared medical endorsed by your family Doctor and signed by both of you
It is less stringent than a  class 3

It may be so ,but it does not explain why it allows for the types of flying that are much more physically demanding than night flying
Colonel

Ever considered doing stand-up comedy?

The logic has left the building.  It was
never IN the building, for that matter.

We are dealing with something that just IS.

PS  A licence (PPL, CPL, ATPL) is ICAO compliant
(ok, with differences) and is valid for operating
C-reg aircraft in other countries which are ICAO
signatories (like the USA).

However a PERMIT (SPP, RPP, UPP) is NOT
ICAO compliant and is ONLY valid in Canada.
GoBoy

Slick Goodlin wrote: On the subject of flying across the border, it would be nice if TC and the FAA could just allow RPPs and LSAs to go into each other's country.  They're basically the same thing, no?
Slick
You are correct .
I have spoken with both the FAA and TC about this subject but there are no immediate plans to change things.
UPP are currently flying into the US with no hassle
Also, I am told by UPAC that an RPP can legally fly an ultralight into the US but not an regular weight airplane
How stupid is that ????
David MacRay

I probably should side with you guys since I'm riding on my 20 year old PPL but if you want to have the privilege of flying outside Canada get a PPL.

Is it really that much harder?

Correct answer is probably, "Shut up, go fly, study and exercise more Dave."