Renting planes...

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

So... this has become seemingly impossible. Here's my latest experience.

Drop by local flying club. They have a few 172s, cherokees, i think perfect. I end up with a lot kf down days on the road and Im kinda jonesing to go have fun in a little airplane. I always ask if i can hire an instructor for an hour to go do some circuits or go for a tour of the local area. Im that kind of crazy. Nope, have to be a club member. Ok, i bite. How hard can that be? Surely nothing money cant buy, right? $1500 down to join. That doesnt stop me. Sure that's going to make for some pricy airplane time, but i figure i can make it worth my while with a few hours, and hey, maybe i might return here a few times in the next few years. I ask what else is entailed, and here's the kick in the nuts. I have to pay the money, and then they review whether they want me as a member... A process that they estimated would take 4 weeks! And then i would have to book a check flight with their in house instructor...

I mean, sounds like a club that don't want new members.

Anyways, does anyone here have any better places to rent planes or instructors that are more willing? Anywhere that is.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

That blows and I hear more and more about how renting is weird. Case in point, a friend of mine has written his CPL for a challenge and because of that the local school won’t allow him to rent an airplane for fun. They say you’re either a student or a renter but can’t be both. It’s nutty.

Anyways, where abouts are you? Maybe that would help find a non-insane club or better yet, someone selling block time.
David MacRay

Have you tried Claresholm? They seem pretty friendly. Maybe that’s not the issue. Do you want me to investigate?

There’s Olds, Airdrie and a new satellite operation at Springbank.

Unless you mean in Hawaii. In which case I highly recommend Maui Aviators.
Squaretail

David MacRay wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:20 pm
Have you tried Claresholm? They seem pretty friendly. Maybe that’s not the issue. Do you want me to investigate?

There’s Olds, Airdrie and a new satellite operation at Springbank.

Unless you mean in Hawaii. In which case I highly recommend Maui Aviators.
Nah, i can find planes easy enough around home, but thats partly because i know people. In Washington (state), heading for California tomorrow, so just as well.

Just disappointing to see flying clubs are the same everywhere. Not sure why most of them have a public facing. They dont want new people.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
David MacRay

I figured I was being as helpful as usual. I still had to try.

The club in Helena seemed pretty awesome several years ago. :P Affordable too but I’m living in the past.