Wingview Wednesday

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Squaretail

Colonel wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:14 pm
I kind of feel sorry for anyone that has never ridden a motorcycle
I finally took my bike to a shop before I left for work on this rotation. It did need a new fork seal which was getting to the limits of my mechanical derring do, but also I came to the conclusion that I would rather ride it than work on it in the limited amount of days I had off that coincided with my increasingly wussy weather tolerances.

But when I get back this time.... I ride.

Feels good to have something like that to look forward to.

The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Slick Goodlin

I’m getting the day of the week wrong again but whatever. Burn avgas when the sun shines, right?
275762E2-15DA-4F81-970D-200B3B875D55.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slick Goodlin

…and with that I give up on photo orientation on this forum.
Squaretail

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:13 am
For a brief second I thought you were on an awesome descent. :D
Slick Goodlin

Squaretail wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:12 pm
Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 10:13 am
For a brief second I thought you were on an awesome descent. :D
I was hoping to get a picture of me going straight up but couldn’t figure out how to juggle the phone while I did it 😅
Squaretail

I saw two of these in formation a few days ago, unfortunately I was too busy to snap a pic at the time.

Will say it again, the navy/marines trainer colors are some of my favorites.
Slick Goodlin

Why drive an hour to a BBQ when you can drive 45 minutes to the airport, spend twenty getting the plane out of the back of the hangar, another fifteen fueling and pre-flighting, ten figuring out how to get to this BBQ, then thirty to fly there?

All that to bring the plane no one looks at.
IMG_5058.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Colonel

the plane no one looks at
... and that's a bad thing because?

I am an unabashed hedonist. I fly because I enjoy it. It pleases me. I'm not seeking external validation. I don't need it.

Everyone I know is dead. Well, except for Bobby and I know there are plenty of haters that would prefer if he was and I'm sure as fuck not trying to please them.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 2:57 pm
I am an unabashed hedonist. I fly because I enjoy it. It pleases me. I'm not seeking external validation. I don't need it.
Same, but I’ve decided being a wallflower has gotten me nowhere. Being out there and known opens more doors and it turns out I’m more known than I’d thought anyways so I may as well act like it.
Colonel

I love where I am now. Nutbar central. I am nobody. It’s great.

Pick something and get good at it. If that gets boring because you’re world class, pick another thing and get really good at that, too. If you’re world class at two different things, that’s awesome and it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks.

You are aware that the average IQ is 96? Half of the population struggles to tie their shoes. Why on earth would you care what they think?

I remember having a great discussion with a Snowbird pilot about negative G formation aerobatics and he replied, "The ice cream lickers don't know the difference". He was right. However, learning to do a formation outside loop at the surface on wing in line abreast formation is still tremendously worthwhile. Even if you can take the pain, you will never forget the visuals. Most people can't even do that solo, and it's much, much harder to do it on wing.