What’s up with all these balloons?

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Slick Goodlin

This was a new one, after joking about being on the lookout for balloons yesterday I got this message in flight:
923FF0B7-60F7-4A3E-B01E-5681B7E6556E.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Nark

Need something for the tv news ratings.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

I’m waiting for the UFO lockdowns.

We need to be afraid of UFO’s.
Slick Goodlin

Nark wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 12:41 am
Need something for the tv news ratings.
The cynic in me says the same, and I have no doubt that there could have been a near-endless stream of balloons going over for years at 100,000 feet. But these ones aren’t. Seems like the past week’s balloons have been in the 40-60,000 foot range which is more problematic for airliners, at least at the lower end.

So is it a quality control thing? Are they overweight and don’t make it to their intended altitude? Envelopes too porous? Cheaping out on the helium or maybe switching to a different gas? Or could it be they’re meant for Pacific Ocean research with a self destruct prior to landfall that’s been failing or simply not installed? There’s some precedent for research ballon’s that’s fail to self-destruct and are slated for airborne destruction, which also gave good data on why to use a missile against one.

In any case, I wish I could have been close enough to see it though it’s probably for the better, I bet a sidewinder missile would like our big, hot turbofans more than a dumb, cold balloon.
Nark

Rumors are afloat about the Canadian Air Forces lack of capabilities to defend their airspace.

I for one will enjoy the unfolding “we need a dual engine aircraft to patrol the Arctic!” Relighting the F35 debate from a number of people whose aviation expertise ends at a PA31.

How about any plane at this point?
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Squaretail

I bet a sidewinder missile would like our big, hot turbofans
Nothing gets your attention like the range controller broadcasting "everyone make sure your transponders are on before the sidewinders go hot".
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

I already get enough Chinese dudes posing as hot chicks texting me, so I won’t get in to it much deeper.

Radar guided systems look for a cross-section signature. Your mode 3 isn’t going to identify you as friend or foe. There are a few other transponder that do that. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy squawking 1000, cool. RADAR doesn’t care.

Heat signature: exactly that. Your heat lands on the non-viable spectrum.

Laser: the most fun. Using sensors to designate a target. Someone launched a missile and tracks that designation. Boom goes the bad guy.

There are many ways to not be seen, or trick the systems, or the operators. Know what’s out there, because tactics for one may not work for the other.

For Mr. China-man reading this: they all work to defeat your systems.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
TwinOtterFan

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:58 pm
This was a new one, after joking about being on the lookout for balloons yesterday I got this message in flight:
923FF0B7-60F7-4A3E-B01E-5681B7E6556E.jpeg
A little off topic so do not let me completely derail this sub Slick, but the student in me wants to know while flying along and getting that message how do you take all the coordinates and actually map out the TFR? I understand you can grab a map and manually do it but is that what you are all doing? or if you are IFR you are just given headings anyway so it doesn't really matter?
Squaretail

Nark wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2023 4:29 pm
Your mode 3 isn’t going to identify you as friend or foe. There are a few other transponder that do that. If it makes you feel warm and fuzzy squawking 1000, cool.
Unlike in Canada, the controllers down south seem more than happy to let you be just outside the range. At the very least I assume they want to make sure they know where everyone is before they let one loose.

I had this video pop up for me the other day.

Kind of neat. I didn't know that's how they worked.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
Nark

I see what you’re getting at. Civvy radar control uses mode 3+C and ADSB nowadays. If you were talking to a civilian controller (and military too) they’d be seeing you on their scope.

I was framing in reference to target tracking and acquisition radar. Very different aspect.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com