Know Your Plane

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Growing up around airplanes helping my dad “wrench” on airplanes and flying in the middle of nowhere I know what’s in my wheelhouse to trouble shoot or fix and more importantly when to call a pro.

The other day I mentioned to one of the local airport folk i’m changing the oil and putting some cam guard in (pro tip)

Oh you’re and AME ?
Uh nope you can do that it’s elementary Mtc pretty simple actually. If you can change the oil on your truck it’s pretty simple.

Is your plane owner maintenance? was his reply…. Nope

Blank stare, pretty sure he’s called 1800-TCanada

Think I’ll leave my hangar door closed when landing do such wizardry going forward.

I get it not everyones capable of such feats of engineering and good call the pro write the cheque my ame is a great guy (I would bet he could pull a little 1940s Soviet tank out of a bog in Germany and get it going in a few days)

This gets my gears turning and I really think that if your going to fly privately you should really endeavour to “know your plane”

That being said when I see Tesla driver trying to put propane in their tires makes me happy to know when Vlad Putin drops the big one I’ll be the guy in the olde school hockey mask (minus the boyfriend) ripping around in the dune buggy with a .44 magnum.

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Squaretail

Scudrunner wrote:
Fri Oct 21, 2022 4:33 am

This gets my gears turning and I really think that if your going to fly privately you should really endeavour to “know your plane”
Its really useful all through a pilot career, private or commercial. Its dismaying how willfully ignorant most pilots choose to be about the machine they're operating. But I've discovered that if you want to hide stuff from a pilot, put it in a book.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
JW Scud

Everything needed to fly an airplane is in this short video. No more groundschool needed.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CjLV5meo ... MyMTA2M2Y=
RBK

Many, many years ago before I built the RV I owned a part share in a 172. I was doing my night rating with a free lance instructor and one of the other partners in the plane tagged along one night in the back seat. We stopped in Pitt Meadows to get some self serve fuel. When we were pumping it the other part owner said “I didn’t know we were allowed to put our own gas in”. True story.
Slick Goodlin

Scudrunner wrote:
Uh nope you can do that it’s elementary Mtc pretty simple actually.
I love elementary work but I wish greasing wheel bearings was in it. Somewhere there’s a Cub journey log with my entry: ‘Wheels removed to install skis, skis not located, wheels reinstalled after packing bearings.’

In August.
Colonel

The percentage of people descended from farmers drops every year.

Farmers can fix anything because they have to.
Squaretail

Scudrunner wrote:

Oh you’re and AME ?
The secret to appearing as a mechanic is all about the outfit. The grubby toque is essential. No one asks whether you are qualified to work on things if you got this bit of the kit, they just assume. So much so that they're won't ask if you are an AME, they will just start asking you advice about snags on their aircraft. If you really want to sell it, actually wipe up some oil with a rag. No pilot would be caught dead doing that.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...