4 found dead after crashed aircraft discovered southeast of Sioux Lookout, Ont.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Slick Goodlin

That blows, and it double blows that this isn’t the same plane as the one that’s been missing somewhere presumably around Wawa.
Colonel

The north shore of Lake Superior doesn't get much respect, and it doesn't forgive.

Personally I would take the Sault, Marquette, Houghton and across Isle Royale any day instead.

I've flown that route single-engine for many decades, but most people don't think I'm very bright. Weirdly I'm still alive.
mcrit

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:57 pm
That blows, and it double blows that this isn’t the same plane as the one that’s been missing somewhere presumably around Wawa.
The fellow that was found quickly had a good strong ELT signal taking the searchers to the site.

Check your ELTs guys. Make sure they are mounted properly, the antennas are connected and they are armed.
RBK

Using a Garmin inreach or spot with breadcrumbs is also a good idea. I never fly anywhere withou my inreach. Plus has the added benefit of being able to send a text if you survive the landing.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:24 pm
The north shore of Lake Superior doesn't get much respect, and it doesn't forgive.

Personally I would take the Sault, Marquette, Houghton and across Isle Royale any day instead.
Fair, but as the weirdo often in the non-electric VFR airplane I just follow the road. The higher I can get the more I can iron out the bends but really it doesn’t matter.

If you look between Marathon CYSP and Wawa CYXZ you’ll see the highway generally follows a very long curve that bows several dozen miles off the great circle route. As pilots that bothers us because we know a straight line is shorter and therefore faster. The time difference between the great circle and highway is something like four minutes in a Piper Cub. If you get forced down enroute it would take less time than that to be found if you just landed on or beside Highway 17, vice somewhere in the bush probably dead and never to be found.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

the route I took in the Pitts was Edenvale - Elliott Lake - Marathon - Atikokan - St Andrews.
I would have preferred going state side, but someone ate a spoiled bat in China that year so.......

I had the Spot tracker strapped to my parachute shoulder harness.

Happy it never came to that but its a shit sandwich in that part of the country.
BCPilotguy

The plot thickens
A B.C. man who was a wanted fugitive in connection with the death of a man in Thailand has died in a plane crash, police confirm.

The Combined Forces Special Enforcement Unit of British Columbia (CFSEU-BC) said Gene Karl Lahrkamp died in the plane crash in northwestern Ontario on April 30.

Lahrkamp was wanted in connection with the death of a former Abbotsford gangster, Jimi Sandhu, 32, whose body was found near a villa in Rawai Beach, Muang district of Phuket, Thailand in February according to Crime Stoppers.
https://globalnews.ca/news/8806504/bc-f ... h-ontario/
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Weird.... evading the law with small airplanes?
Last week, Lahrkamp had been added to a list of Canada's most wanted fugitives, and a $100,000 reward was offered for information leading to his arrest.