Twin Cessna Gear AD

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Requires TWO of these bolts.

digits

Which AD is that?
Squaretail

Cessna, or rather Textron (that's what they're listed under in the most recent A/D I was sent) is trying really hard to make it cost prohibitive to fly their legacy aircraft, particularly their 300/400 series. They will probably eventually succeed, given their determination.
The details of my life are quite inconsequential...
digits

I don't think they are doing it intentionally, but it is a weird industry where a manufacturer can one sidedly decide you have to buy expensive part X for Y dollars in order to keep flying your perfectly fine aircraft.
Colonel

A thousand us dollars for a fucking bolt.
Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:37 pm
A friend of mine needed to buy some nut plates for a restoration he was doing. Open up the ACS catalogue and find that they range from $4 to $6 a piece except for one size in the middle at $78 each. Guess what size he needed over a hundred of.
Squaretail

digits wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 pm
I don't think they are doing it intentionally, but it is a weird industry where a manufacturer can one sidedly decide you have to buy expensive part X for Y dollars in order to keep flying your perfectly fine aircraft.
Actually Textron was caught trying on purpose. There was a big go around with the FAA when they saw fit to start issuing their own A/Ds. Thankfully the FAA slapped them down, but it was somewhat revealing of their stance on those aircraft.
Colonel wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:37 pm
Are you new to this? ;) That's cheap. Take a guess what a new stall sensor for the Navajo cost, just that little toggle that the packaging says pilots AREN'T supposed to flick when doing walk arounds. That little unit which has about $10 worth of metal and plastic.

I've been shining up my welding skills these days, I could totally fabricate one of those bolts for only say $500. :D

edit: don't get me started on sourcing parts for a janitrol. If you want to see expensive pieces of sheet metal.
digits

Squaretail wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 5:22 pm
digits wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:10 pm
Actually Textron was caught trying on purpose. There was a big go around with the FAA when they saw fit to start issuing their own A/Ds. Thankfully the FAA slapped them down, but it was somewhat revealing of their stance on those aircraft.
Oh, interesting. Do you have a source or reference to that story? I can't seem to find it. Curious to know what happened exactly.
Squaretail