Short Landing Rollout

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

No, he didn't wreck it (that's cheating)

Scudrunner
Site Admin

One thing I love and hate about the Sovereign is its approach speed and short rolls.

Going into Marathon (3,900') or Rubberboot Saskatchewan its great coming in at 100 knots. Usually by the time the buckets are deployed its time to stow them.
The brakes are great and with little effort you can have it stopped easily in less than 2000 ft.

On the other hand going into Busy Airports with Big scary jets coming in at 130 knots + sure can eat up real estate in a hurry behind you if your dragging it in at 110 or 100.
Some FO's never really understood good airmanship and think the VREf the computer spits out is the number you must fly all the way in.

Chaos ensues behind you for the controllers and Boeing crews.

However the good people down in Wichita have a heritage of building all Cessnas the same.
So you can carry 30 extra knots chop it and hit the numbers to make any ATC convenient exit with no shock cooling either (but that's a myth)

I've made runway 26 at YYC landing on 35L with little headwind or effort. It wasn't busy and foreshadowed with a "is 26 availible for exit tonight?" don't do that anymore because my FBO aint down that end anymore.
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

the VREf the computer spits out is the number you must fly all the way in
Oh God. We've talked about this before - a decelerating approach is incredibly useful.

Last time I was flying, I bumped the formation of biplanes to 190 mph on final for jet traffic.

The only speed that matters to the landing rollout, is crossing the runway threshold.
no shock cooling either
Don't get me started :)