Interesting Job Ad

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Colonel

I expect Sunwing will not be amused that you posted that, but - Good Job!
vanNostrum

Not sure why this " event" has elicits so much attention or why the surprise
This group lives and performs for the dysfunctional world of social media
The only thing I'm wondering is if things were that bad where was the Captain?
There are only 3 kind of people in this world
Those that can add and those that can't
Colonel

Slick Goodlin

vanNostrum wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:35 pm
In the flight deck, I assume? Either they weren’t informed and stayed up front or they were informed and had to stay up front.

I always wondered, if the company rules for disruptive passenger(s) say keep the front door locked (as I assume Sunwing does), what if the pilot has to take a giant dump sometime before landing?
vanNostrum

If the preliminary reporting of the cabin crew unable to intervene for "fear to their personal safety"
and TC with possible charges of " endangering a flight" are true is only fair to wonder about the
Captains actions
The flight didnt return to Montreal or divert to the closest airport so all this incident is probably exaggerated
On the other hand if booze was out of control and there is an an emergency where half of this people wouldn't be
able to follow orders and evacuate, who is responsible?
There are only 3 kind of people in this world
Those that can add and those that can't
Colonel

The flight didnt return to Montreal or divert to the closest airport
Exactly. The crew didn't think there was a problem, or they would have diverted and landed.

I have been on Scumwing (as my old friend Larry Loretto used to refer to them) flights where
the pax went a little nuts, but no one recorded it and posted it, so that was ok.
JW Scud

Slick Goodlin wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:13 pm
vanNostrum wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:35 pm

I always wondered, if the company rules for disruptive passenger(s) say keep the front door locked (as I assume Sunwing does), what if the pilot has to take a giant dump sometime before landing?
In a high security situation like this, there are special, secret procedures, little known to the public. Normally, we don’t talk about these things.

The pilots would discuss the Alternate Procedure which is carefully hidden in the Supplemental Checklists and is called Emergency Dump Valve Procedure.

It is typically practiced in the sim only on the initial training. The pilot under duress prepares the F/O’s cap for use, while the other pilot discretely informs ATC (with the secret squawk code of 2222) and then goes on 100% oxygen(ideally with full face mask) and then looks continuously out the window.

The pilot in duress gets in the ready position(bent over and facing toward the door cockpit door) with the cap placed upside down on the aft end of the center pedestal. Both pilots give each other the thumbs up signal, at which point the pilot in duress makes a PA using the hand mic, saying the code word three times which informs the cabin crew of the situation.

The pilot in duress then performs the emergency procedure, carefully if time permits. Cartoon style diagrams are in the checklist in case one has forgotten some of the steps.

Usually it is practiced as part of the LOFT sim. I got an S/B on it but didn’t practice it as much as some of the keeners and there was a TC monitoring guy that day who is known to be a stickler for proper procedure.
David MacRay

My buddy is a former flight instructor, they told me about that. I appreciate you obscuring the actual squawk number. Too often that stuff gets shared on the dark web.
Slick Goodlin

Well today I learned something. I would have thought the code would be all #2s but here we are.