Dissimilar Formation

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Brother on wing; me in lead...
Very nice station keeping! And I like the racial inclusivity.

I'm too old and weak to live someplace with real wx. I'll leave that to you kids!!

I've posted this before ... my kid on right wing:

I yell at him that I want to see fuselage overlap! Fuselage overlap AT ALL TIMES!

Looks crappy when you string out :^)

Sometimes (like yesterday) he helplessly drifts forward during the landing flare - I
see him in my peripheral and give the throttle a squirt.

Fuselage overlap!

PS Note my tailwheel first landing at 0:21 - the way the POH recommends! I'm
not making this up:

PPS the POH doesn't explain crosswind landings in a Pitts very well ... you either
land with no bank, with 5 degree bank or 10 degree bank. The aircraft is always
aligned with the direction of travel before touchdown. After touchdown, the stick
is ALWAYS slowly and incrementally moved over into whatever crosswind is present
until the rollout is complete, and the stick is ALWAYS all the way over into the crosswind
generating maximum adverse yaw to oppose weathervaning. A good crosswind landing
has the downwind main in the air almost the entire landing.

I have never needed more than 10 degrees of bank for a crosswind landing in a Pitts,
which has a large rudder, tiny vertical fin and very short fuselage. When I got my first
official checkout in an S-2B from an FBO that rents them out (really) all those decades
ago, the crosswind was more than the demonstrated value in the POH, and it didn't
matter.

Once you master the Pitts, no fucks are given about the crosswind or tailwind, for that
matter. Tower calls wind checks, I click the mike. They asked me the other day if I was
ok to take off with 10 knots of quartering tailwind (formation) and I tried not to laugh
out loud.

Big Pistons Forever

John Swallow wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:25 pm
That looks like great fun! Nice to have such weather! If only we could move down south when/as required...

The accompanying video was taken on cell phone. Brother on wing; me in lead...
Nice :D