Tinnitus (Ringing in the Ears) and Light Planes

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
DeflectionShot

Hey folks,

Wondering if anyone here is suffering from tinnitus (ear ringing) and how you deal with it when flying small planes? I've got good hearing protection (Bose A20), but I'm curious if anyone here has other tips/suggestions to minimize noise. For example is there an even better head set with better noise cancellation than the Bose? Bottom line is that I don't want to condition to get worse but I don't want to give up flying either.

Thanks in advance.

David MacRay

You are right to try to protect your ears but… I don’t think light singles have been a contributing factor in my tinnitus.

I’m pretty sure it would be just as bad from growing up in the decade of Red and Kitty Foreman.

Watching VanHalen, ZZ Top, Cheap Trick, Rush, etc. Standing beside my cousins when they would shoot things. Two stroke dirt bikes. Playing in various levels of amateur and semi-pro bands. Watching fighter jets without plugging my ears…

I suspect I’m lucky to hear anything at this point.

I will plug my ears when there’s loud noise, put in foam plugs when I watch bands, use muffs for mowing the lawn etc. these days.
TwinOtterFan

I agree if your already using A20's then it would be a matter of taking steps when doing other things Dave mentioned. You could explore different ANR's but I imagine up at that level it wouldn't matter I use the zulu 3's and have been told they are similar.

But as mentioned wearing ear protection at other times would be key. I wear them all the time. Even just getting a good set of headphones or plugs would be good. I have the galaxy buds from Samsung and I listen to podcast while working, they have anr options you can access through your phone. Good for most things except shooting. Still need ear pro for that.
mcrit

I know some guys will put foam ear plugs in under their headsets.
cgzro

Ive been known to wear earplugs under the Telex 50D… I think the absolute best solution is a helmet with ANR and CEPs.
TwinOtterFan

cgzro wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 3:22 am
Ive been known to wear earplugs under the Telex 50D… I think the absolute best solution is a helmet with ANR and CEPs.
I was just looking into a helmet, still seriously considering a kitfox and thought I may take the extra step.
DeflectionShot

Thanks for the advice. Sounds like the ear plugs under the headset might be a good option.

Is the Telex D better than the Bose A20 for noise attenuation? I was under the impression that the Telex D was a much older product.
Colonel

I have both Bose A20 and Dave Clamp ONE-X. They are both total shit in a noisy cockpit.

I have more pairs of the 50D's than you would believe. 8? 10? I'm getting them off ebay now,
and you can buy aftermarket ear seals from China for them. I have a box of those. It's important
to keep changing them.

I go through headsets, avionics and flight instruments like candy.

Try the in-ear Clarity Aloft and there is a cheaper clone. Halo? Some people love them, but
to me it's like wearing a catheter all day. I don't like shoving stuff up my dick or into my head,
but whatever suits your lifestyle.
DeflectionShot

Thanks Colonel. I'll check out the Telex 50D. Airplane engines and small arms fire are essential to life but bad for hearing health.
Colonel

At the range I wear ear plugs under an ANR Walker's "razor" headset. Works ok
with the 9mm and .45 ACP, but .44 Magnum and .50 are kind of loud even with that.

It's not hard to see why if you look Some Of My Favorite Rounds:

From left to right:

.32 ACP - no respect, but it killed Hitler, and it sure slips into your pocket easily with your keys.
9mm Luger - nice round for someone that drives a Porsche and likes Chardonnay
.45 ACP - my favorite. Nothing beats a high-end 1911 (Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, etc)
.44 Magnum - Desert Eagle. Fascinating engineering. Can't hit the broad side of a barn with it.
.50 Magnum - S&W 500. About the same muzzle energy as a .308, amazing trigger single action.

What's that Jimmy Buffet song?

"He's losing his hearing, but he don't care what most people say"