This should get the Colonel out of Hiding

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

1) I am not a fan of blue bottle oil. Cat piss. I have a recent video of me
draining it hot - it's like water. I do not like multi-viscosity oils, except for
the winter. In the summer, run straight grade. I cannot say enough good
things about Camguard. I wish they sponsored me! 10% Camguard and
W120 Aeroshell is the best inhibiting oil I have found.

2) Monkey is new. I used to ride a Honda CT70 in Thunder Bay - actually
Kakabeka Falls - many decades ago. Centrifugal clutch, shifter went the
"wrong way". I loved it. Monkey is a great nostalgia trip for old fat guys
like me.

3) TwinOtterFan: I wish I could tell you, how happy it makes me that I
was able to help you with your landings. I know how frustrating they
can be!

4) Chuck: people don't understand how incredible unlikely, your continued
survival is. Freddy once told me that all his friends were dead or in jail,
and you miraculously have avoided both. Much to learn, there.

5) Funeral: I have some ideas. It won't be cheap, but it won't cost as much
as being shot into space by a cannon, either (see Depp/Thompson). I would
like the entire Dallas Cheerleading Team to show up, dressed modestly in
black, weeping uncontrollably. During the solemn proceedings, thundering
afterburners with a supersonic formation pass tree top pass drown out the
preacher, and a lone red Pitts appears, and starts to do surface aerobatics,
vectoring energy directly at the crowd which naturally scatters in panic.

At this point, several 55 gallon drums of KY are spilled over, and the Dallas
Cheerleaders start to fight over my coffin, tearing each other's clothes off in
the process, to expose very sexy black lingerie. All covered in KY jelly. I think
I could make the networks if it was a slow news day. Some good video would
be required, of course. We are nothing without eye candy.

F-35 RCAF will rely on CF-18 and use Australian F-18 aircraft until 2032
Chuck Ellsworth

4) Chuck: people don't understand how incredible unlikely, your continued
survival is. Freddy once told me that all his friends were dead or in jail,
and you miraculously have avoided both. Much to learn, there.

I attribute my surviving the way I lived and flew to be too two things

(1) Not really giving a fuck about taking chances based on can I do it and survive.

(2) I need excitement to keep going.

Do you know what " mixed emotions " is?

By the way, looking at that Beech 18 doing the roll reminds me of the first time I rolled one, it was in 1964 in Windsor Ont.
Colonel

A good pilot can roll anything.

Back when I was instructing, I claimed I could teach anyone
to roll anything in 90 seconds. A 9 year old could do this:

Shades of "40 Second Boyd" ...

Code: Select all

After his service in Korea, he was invited to attend the Fighter Weapons School. Boyd attended the school and rose to the top of his class. Upon graduation, he was invited to stay at the FWS as an instructor. He became head of the Academic Section and wrote the tactics manual for the school

He was dubbed "Forty Second Boyd" for his standing bet as an instructor pilot that beginning from a position of disadvantage, he could defeat any opposing pilot in air combat maneuvering in less than 40 seconds.
F-35 RCAF will rely on CF-18 and use Australian F-18 aircraft until 2032
Big Pistons Forever

Colonel wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:29 pm
Dude: I'm not in hiding. Everyone knows where I am. Hell, the 'Rona is over here,
stop by NorCal for a BBQ. You can meet the dogs, we can get drunk and ride the
motorcycles and shoot pistols. Imagine visiting Hunter Thompson.

I stopped posting when I realized that people didn't want to hear what I had to
say, and that's ok. I'm a 20th Century pilot in the 21st Century - an anachronism.

Anyways. Internal corrosion is probably the #1 killer of private (and even some
commercial) aircraft engines, especially in Canada when they are often parked
for half of the year, when that white stuff is on the ground.

What to do?

After 50 years of fucking with piston aircraft engines, this is what I would recommend,
for a mythical 172 with a Lycoming with an 8 quart oil capacity.

After your last flight of the year, in the fall, after you land immediately drain out all
the old oil. If you have an oil filter (not recommended to have one) change it too.

Add 4 or 5 qts (your choice) of W120 straight grade super-thick engine oil, and one
pint of Camguard, which should give you around 10% which is what you want for a
really good preservative oil. Run it to circulate the goodness.

Park the airplane. Some people like to cover up the intake and exhaust and put
silicon dessicant in, and maybe in some extreme environments that would help,
but I don't bother.

Put a 0.75 amp Battery Tender Jr on the battery. It is a "smart" charger and does not
deliver a constant amperage (bad news) like a $10 charger - it varies the output current
with the voltage. Basically, you want to keep you lead acid/AGM battery above 12.8V
or it will sulfate.

Now, one option is to leave the aircraft like that, all winter. Don't even touch the
prop. In the spring, preheat the engine to at least 100F, then drain the W120 oil
and change the filter, and replace with normal engine oil and a new filter.

If you feel the need to ground run, remember that although it will re-circulate the oil,
it will not burn off the water inside the engine. To do that, you really need to fly it
and immediately after landing open the oil access door and get the dipstick tube/
filler cap off, to let the hot air carry the moisture out the top of the engine via convection.

For a ground run, same procedure as in the spring (above) - preheat and drain the old
oil, change the filter, but since it's going back into storage, W120 and Camguard for
the ground run, then park it. Remember to preheat the entire engine to 100F. W120
(SAE 60) is a pretty weird winter oil, but gosh, it sticks to the engine.

Pro Tip™: drain the W120 engine oil out after you ground run. I omitted this above for
the sake of simplicity, but you don't really need to leave your sump full of preservative
oil.

I hope this helps some people. If it makes other people feel bad about themselves,
I'm really sorry your life has turned out so bad that you have to attack random strangers
like some thug in New York, to make yourself feel better. Ask Rick Moranis about this.
Or….fly your airplane a minimum of once every 2 weeks. Admittedly that is easier for me because I live in “Gods County” AKA Vancouver Island, but I grew up and started my flying in Montreal. Strangely I never had any problem getting a rental booking when it was -20. Yah it was a lot of work but when you are 17 and have the airport to yourself, life is pretty good even if the wind is. 90 deg across the icy runway :D

However if you are going to be a wussy and wait for spring you can’t go far wrong following the advice above. The only additional comment I would make is roll your airplane back and forth a few feet every few weeks so the tyres don’t get a set from sitting on the same part of the tread
digits

Colonel wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 11:34 pm

Code: Select all

After his service in Korea, he was invited to attend the Fighter Weapons School. Boyd attended the school and rose to the top of his class. Upon graduation, he was invited to stay at the FWS as an instructor. He became head of the Academic Section and wrote the tactics manual for the school

He was dubbed "Forty Second Boyd" for his standing bet as an instructor pilot that beginning from a position of disadvantage, he could defeat any opposing pilot in air combat maneuvering in less than 40 seconds.
I think you should post the manual so we can try some of the stuff in there!
David MacRay

If I won one of those really big jackpots I would love to make fun videos with digits.

Stuff like flying a pellet grill around in our twin otter to places like Antartica to make saint Louis ribs. Then flying back to South America with barbecue sauce on our faces.

Basically Steve F stuff with better food. I wonder if I could get Pepsi to sponsor us? Maybe I should contact Pfizer.