Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
TwinOtterFan

Haha, let's hope my flight planning abilities are better by then. I did see another student trying to get back from the PA with essentially a ground speed of zero once. They had to request more airtime as they were not even moving lol.

David MacRay

Claresholm is not bad but, Fort McLeod is almost always windy.

Pincher Creek is worse but mostly because it is closer to the Crowsnest pass. I’m exaggerating to say you might end up in Saskatchewan but.. There are a lot of days when it is too windy to fly any light single productivity down there.
TwinOtterFan

It's day by day here, my solo was canceled this morning due to xwinds but I am going to the PA with my instructor for forced landings this afternoon.

A little update I asked about "naked insurance" this morning and they were like oh you mean the silver policy? Ya thats fine you can just sign up for that lol.

So if I want gold coverage they want 20hrs dual and preferably a manufactured aircraft So Piper or Citabria was their suggestion. But if I only want the silver I can have whatever I want. Glad you mentioned that. They forgot to mention it they said.
Liquid_Charlie

Oh and she wants a horse once we are up north.
LOL - a hay burner will cost you more than an aircraft -- so no obstacles for getting an aeroplane :mrgreen: unless it's money !!
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

A horse is more expensive than an airplane there?

Wind at Pincher Creek today.

METAR CZPC 262100Z AUTO 28019G24KT 9SM CLR 10/M03 A2961 RMK SLP049 DENSITY ALT 4700FT=

Then again it’s a bit windy at Springbank today.

METAR CYBW 262100Z AUTO 29010G20KT 9SM FEW086 11/M10 A2954 RMK SLP034 DENSITY ALT 4900FT=

METAR CYYC 262100Z 29006G16KT 220V310 40SM SCT089 12/M10 A2954 RMK CU3 SLP030 DENSITY ALT 4500FT=
Chuck Ellsworth

The Luscombe is a fantastic airplane.

I did my first aerobatics in one, can't remember the year though...it must have been in the early sixties...maybe even the late fifties.
TwinOtterFan

Well lucked out with the wind this afternoon but not my flying. 3kt variable was all we had, but the lesson was cautionary landings forced landings, and he decided to throw in requesting flight following and different altitudes from Pearson, (my first time in controlled airspace)

It wasn't horrible but I definitely found my weak points and will improve for next time.

Hey Chuck, I've heard good things about them and I was shying away from them but after reading more I have them back on the table. There are couple around here and I'm less deterred about the hand propping.

I was just chatting with an older gentleman over at CYRP I believe and I may have a lead on a Stinson 108, a Christivia or a Champ. He has a couple tri pacers but they are projects, he had some others as well but I was only looking at tail draggers.
Liquid_Charlie

Code: Select all

Stinson 108
-- the true cadilac of it's day for the private owner -- :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
TwinOtterFan

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Code: Select all

Stinson 108
-- the true cadilac of it's day for the private owner -- :mrgreen:
The Stinson he has requires more work than I can handle, I've narrowed it down to the 7AC or the MK1, I like them both and they are rather similar but I am leaning towards the Champ simply because I think it would be easier to find an instructor to teach me in a "certified aircraft" vs an amateur built. If I can even find one at all, seems to be harder and harder.

Forgot to add this, Can someone tell me if this falls under certified? or Owner maintenance? and what the type certificate means? I have a rough idea but am seeking clarification.
Champ.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jamesel

Looks like a certified aircraft. Type Certificate is one of the standards the aircraft is certified and maintained to. If the machine has been moved to the owner-maintenance category, the owner now determines the standards required, and the top line of the registry looks like:

Basis for Eligibility for Registration: CAR Standard 507.03(6) - Owner Maintenance Aircraft

My Opinion only - The stereotypical flying school instructor who has only flown the Citabrick or Stupid Cub at the local FTU would likely be unwilling/unable to check you out in a home built. Those of us freelance instructors with an exposure to both a wider range of aircraft types and examples of those types are usually a lot more open to amateur-built. I have turned down both certified and amateur-built aircraft and accepted PPL students in both. The condition and history of the individual aircraft is more of a determinate than the rules under which the aircraft was built.

Ensample:
A) A fresh-built RV-7 with the original builder
B) A 1946 7AC with a C-85

RV-7 - I can interview the builder & looking at the quality of the build, I can form a realistic idea of the standard reached, there is no real history to worry about. Cavalier guy, bad shop heads and wavy rivet lines = Hard No. Good attitude, good rivet lines = we can probably work together.

7AC - Harder to tell the quality of the airframe at a glance. The spars could be 75 years old & what kind of abuse & neglect have they seen in that time? Testing the fabric without getting the owner ticked off? How’s the guts of the engine? The rust on the inside of the steel tubing? Lots of stuff can hide under the fabric that’s 20 or 40 years old. On the prairies here, the chances of a J-3/Champ never having been blown over is almost nil. They are more valuable now, but in the ‘50’s - 60’s - 70’s they often sat outside and were maintained and rebuilt to a price. There are good ones out there, but there are often a lot of unknowns after all those years.