Day dreaming about airplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
David MacRay

Big Pistons Forever

David MacRay wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:46 pm
Buy this. No hand propping.

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... e-aircraft
Good lord, when did simple rag and tube Pipers become so expensive :shock:
David MacRay

25 years ago. I know what you mean though. I’m also looking for a nice 182 with a fresh engine for $15,000.
Liquid_Charlie

Hand spanking was just a fact of life when I was learning to fly. Small aircraft like this when you were doing it by yourself we always flipped the prop from behind which gave you an unobstructed access to the cockpit.

Brings back memories :mrgreen:
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
David MacRay

I have seen someone hand prop from behind the prop on YouTube, of course I can’t find it now.
David MacRay

Found one.

I’m kind of surprised that hand propping from between the prop and the cabin door is not more common. Seems like a better way to do it.

One other good tip I heard watching one was, turning the fuel off. Then if a bunch of things go wrong, it will stop running when the float bowl is emptied.
vanNostrum

Preferred method

There are only 3 kind of people in this world
Those that can add and those that can't
Big Pistons Forever

Every CPL I trained got a lesson on hand propping. They then had to, without any help, hand prop the plane once with me watching but not saying/doing anything.

The other instructors reaction to this varied from incredulity, to no thanks, to passing it off as a BPF eccentricity

However if one of my guys got stuck in some strip/dock in the middle of nowhere with a dead battery they had the skills to get it going and get home.
Slick Goodlin

David MacRay wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:53 am
I’m kind of surprised that hand propping from between the prop and the cabin door is not more common. Seems like a better way to do it.
I’ve tried it and am not a fan. When I prop from in front I can very naturally step away from the plane as I pull the blade through, from behind it almost feels like the motion pulls me forward toward the prop. It may be related to my being a human Sasquatch as I’m also very uncomfortable hand propping anything with a low prop shaft for much the same reason. If the middle of the prop is very far below the middle of my chest I tap out and let someone else do it.

I bet flipping a prop from behind feels really natural to anyone with time in a J-3 on floats.
Liquid_Charlie

On floats there are very few option other than from behind. Beaver starts pretty easily. Single otter -- no geared engines are more difficult.

I have hand spanked a DC3 with no added tools such as a rope. Two guys grabbing and running with the prop works. When we were out and about one could get pretty creative to get an aeroplane going. I can remember banging on a 2Otter starter with a 2x4 and it worked -

We always carried spare tyers with us and changed them ourselves. That's all in the past now. Is it legal and cover your ass are the catch phrases of today. Does that make it better, I'm not sure.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"