New hobbies, skills and pastimes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

One significant issue with three point landings is the time element involved in losing speed and lift from your approach and hold off speed allow for a three point touch down.

Inertia works in more way than one, with a cross wind the track down the runway can change due to the time element getting rid of speed inertia and loss of track plus sideways drift makes for more effort being used to keep everything going properly.

Whereas when using the wheel landing technique directional control and drift control is far easier, therefore loss of control will be less likely.

To my simple way of thinking it is easier and safer to wheel land a tail wheel airplane.

Chuck Ellsworth

Another comment regarding to tail wheel airplane flying.

When I used to do tail wheel check outs for licensed pilots we did not go flying until the pilot being checked out could comfortably handle the machine on the ground both low speed with the tail wheel on the ground and high speed runs down the runway with the tail in the air.

That generally required between one and two hours of practice.

Once the student could perform high speed runs down the runway holding the center line and then S turning left and right down the runway we went flying.
mcrit

Chuck Ellsworth wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:27 pm
Another comment regarding to tail wheel airplane flying.

When I used to do tail wheel check outs for licensed pilots we did not go flying until the pilot being checked out could comfortably handle the machine on the ground both low speed with the tail wheel on the ground and high speed runs down the runway with the tail in the air.

That generally required between one and two hours of practice.

Once the student could perform high speed runs down the runway holding the center line and then S turning left and right down the runway we went flying.
I remember you posting this years ago, and I gave it a try. Worked really well; made my life and my students' lives much easier.
Chuck Ellsworth

I remember you posting this years ago, and I gave it a try. Worked really well; made my life and my students' lives much easier.
Thanks mcrit it is nice to know that my suggestions are of value to others. :mrgreen:
Chuck Ellsworth

Did you ever read the article I wrote on judging height during the landing process mcrit?

Of all the lessons on flying, I have found that the judging of height right to touch down is the lesson that is the most poorly taught.

Some time ago I wrote a very in depth article on how I teach this skill.....

Do you recall ever reading it.....it is the one where I describe where to look once the flare is accomplished...rather than looking way ahead to the far end of the runway I teach looking at the point where apparent movement of the runway towards you ceases.

And once understood it makes landing so much more accurate and safer.
mcrit

I seem to recall reading something about that, but my memory isn’t what it used to be. :D