Perfect Example of Airmanship

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

Sounds like a great guy to be around.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
David MacRay

I want to fly there. I'd call in as student pilot every time.

Student pilot.
Colonel

No one expects The Spanish Inquisition.
Scudrunner
Site Admin

Looks like the original post was edited to now include this explanation.

The plot thickens....

So earlier this evening I get call from Matt Maisano the pilot of the Bonanza in the clip I shared a few days ago. He seemed sincere and said he would like a chance to explain his side of this story, especially since this post had gotten so many shares that he was getting hate mail from around the US and outside the US, 1 star reviews on his business listing, as well as several calls from the FAA and the local FSDO (flight standards district office) about what happened. The first thing he wanted me to know is that the clip that I had posted was edited down and a timeline of 30+minutes edited down to just a few. He sent me the unedited audio and it was true. There was a lot missing from the edited clip. Posting something like this out of context was not my intention and I told him that I would gladly post the original audio in place of the edited version. He said he regrets speaking the way he did, swearing on the radio, and that he could have handled it better. He said he wasn't aware that the pilot was a student until long after he had departed (and the audio confirms this) and that he didn't know it was his first solo until the next day. He explained that he had idled in the run up area for over 10 minutes waiting for the traffic on 19 to quiet down before departing. He said it wasn't his intention to announce as if he was entering runway 1 (and did not enter runway 1 until long after the student pilot had departed) , only that it was his intention to use it (though I can see how that could have been more clearly communicated). No matter what it seems there still is a good discussion amongst pilots in the interest of safety and learning without judgement. Here is the complete version and I encourage you to listen (especially fellow pilots).

https://archive-server.liveatc.net/…/M5 ... -16-2020-1

I think it's important to admit when you're wrong. I appreciated Matt calling me to explain his side with humility. Everyone has bad days that they wish they could have done differently. In turn I admit that posting something like this out of context was not my intention. I want to give people the benefit of the doubt when I can.

Original Post:
"Overheard on the common traffic advisory frequency at M54 (Lebanon, TN) my home airport today. Two planes about to take off from opposite ends of the same runway. The other plane was a student pilot on his first solo. Could have turned out much worse. Bonanza (57W) insisted on taking off to the north (runway 1) while all the other aircraft in the pattern were landing and departing to the south (on runway 19). Generally when winds are relatively calm the preferred runway at Lebanon is 19 because in the event of engine failure on takeoff, your emergency landing options are much better (less populated) to the south."
5 out of 2 Pilots are Dyslexic.
Nark

The dude is still a douche.

In the face of adversity your true character arrises.
Twin Beech restoration:
www.barelyaviated.com
Colonel

Our three weapons are fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near-fanatical devotion to the Pope!
Liquid_Charlie

That my son will require 3 hail marys, and ...... just a.... jump to the left ........

"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Colonel

Takeoff at uncontrolled airports are FUN! Here's me and a student of mine:

I find it helps to keep to the right, but I'm told I'm not much of a stick.