Wtf, I can’t even

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
JW Scud

Scudrunner wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 1:52 am
:roll: :?
Sounds a little windy in that video. And seeing as he had plenty of time to stop and didn't, it makes me wonder how good his brakes are. Maybe a zero wind early evening would be the best time to fly a plane like that on pavement.

Colonel

a zero wind early evening would be the best time to fly a plane like that on pavement.
In my experience, it takes many years (decades) and thousands of hours,
before you can ignore the wind in a taildragger.

Until you're Steve Hinton, please don't take a quartering tailwind in a taildragger,
tell Tower "Unable" and insist on a runway change. They can do it.

Very few people have probably heard of Steve Hinton, but he can fly and fix anything.

I remember being at OSH. It was easy to look over my shoulder and tell when Steve
Hinton was flying. Pilots don't get that. It doesn't matter the aircraft, you can tell
when a master's hands and feet are on the controls. That's why I love flying, sportbikes
and embedded programming so much. The competent are rewarded and the incompetent
are brutally punished. That innate justice is wonderful. Like an op-amp with lots of gain.

So. Unless you're Steve Hinton, respect the wind in a taildragger. Here he is on the same
day doing surface acro in a P-51 as above:

Note to four bars: he didn't need to take a one-week type training course between the
two flights. Feel free to report him to your buddy Arlo or Rotten Ronnie who like to
phone up airshow operators in the USA and tell them who should and shouldn't fly.
Liquid_Charlie

It appears I learned something today --- counter rotating props on the p-38

Nice to see the "slow dance" of a couple of aviation icons, meaning the aircraft :D
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"
Slick Goodlin

Here’s a different homebuilt Nieuport:

The fun starts at about forty seconds in.
Colonel

counter rotating props on the p-38
Yes - the "wrong way"! Both V-12's are the "critical engine".

Fascinating story behind that.

Lockheed builds a fine airplane:

Again, it the hands and feet on the controls that make it spectacular.

I know some PPL weenies that think their sh1t doesn't stink because they
bought an Aerostar. If the annuals don't kill them, the EFATO will.

The airplane doesn't make the pilot. The pilot makes the airplane.
JW Scud

Liquid_Charlie wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:23 pm
It appears I learned something today --- counter rotating props on the p-38

Nice to see the "slow dance" of a couple of aviation icons, meaning the aircraft :D
But remember something, unlike most of those light twins(except the Aerostar), they both rotate outboard instead of inboard. Effects on the tail I believe.
Liquid_Charlie

indeed - them aeronautical engineers am damn smart, always thinkin of crafty ways to keep them airdynes flyin good.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"