NSPM

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Colonel

Many (most?) technical people are terrible negotiators.

Often if you ask for double the compensation, you will quietly get it.

My father the MBA calls that "leaving money on the table". We all do it,
except Bill Gates. No one has ever figured out that in addition to being
a good programmer, he was also a good businessman.

Smell the Venn diagrams.

Slick Goodlin

Colonel wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:32 am
Many (most?) technical people are terrible negotiators.
Then according to my bank account I’m a technical genius.

Tomorrow I’ll be attempting to negotiate my way out of a wet paper bag in order to secure some more work. I should live stream it so you guys can all yell at your monitors while you watch.
Colonel

Good luck! We're all counting on you.
Slick Goodlin

I think I just negotiated to do 3x the work for just a hair less annual income and zero job security. Told you I was a pro at this.
Slick Goodlin

So back on subject: how do you run a puppy mill that turns out legions of high quality candidates? Just a ruthless wash out rate or something else?
Colonel

Be careful about whom you select, and train them to the best of their ability.

At the risk of offending the egalitarians, not everyone is cut out for everything.
Liquid_Charlie

I still maintain that instructing should be a separate licence, likely on the same par as an ATP, possibly a IFR not required. Babies teaching babies needs to stop, while there are exceptions most bare commercial pilots do not have the proper skills to teach ab initio, especially when the shit hits the fan or allowing fuck ups go to a reasonable point to be a good lesson and not over reacting and grabbing things out of panic.

This would also force the salaries up having to hire instructors with 1000 hrs plus. I guess the issue is how do they get that time. At the very least doing say a one year intensive instructors apres commercial with required classroom instruction, like every day along with 150 flight hours of training. A separate licence is key.

This would shake up the whole flight school thing and the pilot surplus. Less pilots, better quality is a good thing for all.
"black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight"