Drifting off Center of the Runway

Flight Training and topics related to getting your licence or ratings.
vanNostrum

Friend of mine ,not me  >:D , is trying to regain currency after not flying for a couple of years
He has gone with an instructor 5 or 6 times and most of the exercises done well , he is PPL  around 200 hrs
However, on approach to landing after lining up with the center of the runway and starting the round out,
with great consistence, He drifts to either side even without a crosswind
I suggested doing the approach and leveling off 10 or 15 feet above the runway ,trim and fly level  tracking the center line
not allowing for any drift for as long as he can until climb out for another circuit
Any other exercise ?
PS I don't know what  the situation with the instructor is

DeflectionShot

Interesting...maybe he's unconsciously putting pressure on the rudders? I had a similar problem. My right foot tended to put pressure on the right rudder. The ball would often be off to the right, ever so slightly. Often one leg is a touch longer than the other or tight muscles can cause asymmetry. If he's flying the C172 trying pushing the seat back a bit and allow your legs more length. Your feet don't have to be jammed into the rudders, allows you to tap a little and still use the brakes.
Chuck Ellsworth

What did the instructor tell him?
vanNostrum

DeflectionShot wrote: Interesting...maybe he's unconsciously putting pressure on the rudders? I had a similar problem. My right foot tended to put pressure on the right rudder. The ball would often be off to the right, ever so slightly. Often one leg is a touch longer than the other or tight muscles can cause asymmetry. If he's flying the C172 trying pushing the seat back a bit and allow your legs more length. Your feet don't have to be jammed into the rudders, allows you to tap a little and still use the brakes.

I don't know ,neither does he or the instructor
I thought when the wheel is pulled back he may input some aileron
I flew with him before and I remember seeing him landing on the left side of the centerline most of the times  regardless of wind conditions
Pushing the seat back may help
vanNostrum

Chuck Ellsworth wrote: What did the instructor tell him?
Not sure about that
We spoke briefly on the phone , my friend sounded very frustrated as he thought this was the last
dual he needed  to get signed out and instead, after doing well in the upper air work ,the 2 landings
were poor due to this drifting problem, the instructor suggested to book a dual with one of the senior instructors ::)
Chuck Ellsworth

O.K. :

If a pilot is having trouble staying on the centre line there is usually only two reasons this is happening.

He/she does not recognise when it starts to leave the centre line.

And when they realise they are off the centre line they fail to apply proper control in puts to return to the centre line and then maintain it.

The best way to correct this very important problem is to find an instructor who can identify and correct the problem.

Unless I actually fly with someone with this problem I can not really figure out what exactly is causing it.

So....

...find a competent instructor and the problem will be identified and corrected in short order.

Chuck Ellsworth

WTF:

This problem is basic flight training.

It does not require a senior instructor.

Any competent instructor can correct this in a very short time.

What is needed is a class action against these schools who collect money and give nothing in return.

That is known as fraud.
vanNostrum

Chuck Ellsworth wrote: O.K. :

If a pilot is having trouble staying on the centre line there is usually only two reasons this is happening.

He/she does not recognise when it starts to leave the centre line.

I think that is part of the problem for he mentioned that by the time he tries  to correct the wheels have already  contacted the runway
Chuck Ellsworth

Your friend has a problem that must be addressed and solved now, the inability to hold the centre line shows very poor flight training up to this point in their flying.

If something as basic as this has not been taught properly what else is wrong?

I do not like to criticise anyone's flying ability but this is so basic I want to make sure your friend fixes this as soon as possible.

If finding a good instructor is a problem it can be done by PM's or phone.
vanNostrum

He flies at a'' flying club'' where the the FTU is associated with one of the local Colleges