Gyroplanes.

Aviation & Pilots Forums, discuss topics that interest Pilots and Aviation Enthusiasts. Looking for information on how to become a pilot? Check out our Free online pilot exams and flight training resources section.
Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]I am not so sure you are correct about them not being difficult.
On a rotorwing course in the US a few years ago, there was a huge emphasis on gyroplanes and their unique, hybrid, not fixed wing-not rotor wing characteristics.

Unless things have changed, the FAA rotowing manuals also have alot of space dedicated to gyroplanes.

Having said that, never flew one. They do look cool[/quote]

That is correct, the written exam for the F.A.A. commercial gyroplane pilot license was the most difficult to research and write than any flying exam I ever took.

Chuck Ellsworth

[quote]They do, but I don’t recall it being rocket science.  What I had hoped was that there was enough overlap in basic skills to be credited something for my fixed wing time.  The full forty five hours seems like an awful lot for something that can’t hover and can’t stall.[/quote]

Accreditation for the gyroplane is only available as an add on to a F.A.A, helicopter license, that was what I used when I did my gyroplane license, I can't remember what the number of hours were when I did mine but I will try and find my training log book and get back to ya-all.

By the way the flying must be in a certified gyroplane, in my case it was a McCulloch J2 and as I recall it was expensive.....

....I found my license and it was issued in 1994.

http://americanhelicopter.museum/aircra ... -gyroplane
Liquid Charlie

Thanks Chuck - we do learn something every day  :D